Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL backup fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2000
US
I have two DBs on a SQL 8.0 server. One DB backs up correctly, the other fails. The log file gives this message:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Repair statement not processed. Database needs to be in single user mode.

What is the "mode"? How can I change the mode?
Thanks in advance,

Carina Lister
Technology Services
City of Long Beach
carina_lister@longbeach.gov

How are you doing your backups? A backup should not be doing a repair job...are you using a maintenance plan that also does a database consistancy check or something else that might run a repair job? A backup should also not require single user mode.

For information on single user mode, refer to the BOL. But basically it means there is only one connection to the database. You can set it different ways, check it out in the BOL.

-SQLBill

BOL=Books OnLine=Microsoft SQL Server's HELP
Installed as part of the Client Tools
Found at Start>Programs>Microsoft SQL Server>Books OnLine

Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Yeah, something is definetly wrong here. Definetly check out maintenance job and see if it's trying to do a repair.

Also do a dbcc checkdb on the database to make sure you aren't having any problems with the database. It shouldn't be trying to repair for no reason, so you'll need to get the problem fixed before it gets worse.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

Thank you SQLBill and MrDenny. When I checked my two DBs, the failing backup job indeed included Repair. I've unchecked it and I suspect that will do the trick. Will write another post once I verify that. (Why is it that one can compare two jobs a dozen times and still miss the one discrepancy that allows one to work and causes the other to fail?)

Carina Lister
Technology Services
City of Long Beach
carina_lister@longbeach.gov

Human error.

Sometimes being human is such a pain. But I guess it is the best option available at the moment.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

Why can someone type something, check it several times and someone else will find typos in it? As Denny says, human error. We know what we expect to find, so that's what we see.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back