Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL and RPT split into two files -- help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

geetech01

Technical User
Jul 26, 2007
US
I have inherited a situation where the report definition file (.rpt) and related sql definition (.sql) file are used to generate a report. I seemed to of napped through the relative sections of CR X training. What version of the software do I need to be running and what is the key information to look for?

Crystal Reports generates and stores its own query.

To see it, open the report in CR and select Database, Show SQL Query.

IIRC, this was possible in earlier versions of Crystal where you had the option to use a separate Query Designer application. However, I'm not sure how this older type of report translates into the newer versions of Crystal.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Up to version 8.5 it is possible to Display the SQL and EDIT the SQL.

In Version 9 and above it is possible to Display the SQL but NOT edit the SQL.

In version 9 and above the feature ADD SQL COMMAND was added to allow custom SQL to be used by a report as a datasource. This can be edited and tweaked as required.

Thanks for the info. I found a reference in the help secton about using Paradox tables for this type of usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back