Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL & ASP & 2 Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinl

Programmer
Mar 19, 2001
US
Ok... I dont know if I should post this in the sQL or the ASP section of this site. But what I'm going to do is this:

I have an access database with about 35,000 records in it. What I need to do, is take that database, select all records from it, and update a SQL Server 7 database with taht select statement. I know how to do the SQL STatement f for that kinda stuff ...

INSERT INTO tblMyTableName1 (myField1, myField2, etc...)
SELECT myField1, myField2, myField3 FROM tblMyTableName2

but what i'm wondering.... is how do I connect from one database to another.... and do this? Or....should I be using ADO ... and If so, how would I do this through ADO?

A DO WHILE NOT EOF loop?

Thanx for the help/advice..

shorty

Hi,

Have you tried using a recordset, populating it with the SELECT from Access then INSERT from the recordset to the SQL db?

Bye.

how about connecting to the first database,
fill an array with the contents of that tbl
then looping throught the array inserting the data using a connection to the new database

Hi,

zippynz, why use an array when the content of the table is already in a recordset which can be used to update the second table? It looks to me like it adds a step which is not needed.

Bye.

If this is a re-occurring process, I'd set up a linked server from your SQLS database to your Access database. Then you can use the SQL you're familiar with:

INSERT INTO MySQLSServer.MySQLSDB.DBO.tblMyTableName1 (myField1, myField2, etc...)
SELECT T2.myField1, T2.myField2, T2.myField3
FROM MyLinkedAccessServer.MyAccessDB.DBO.tblMyTableName2 T2 Jon Hawkins

THis willonly be a one time thing.

thanx

doing it in SQL is more efficient, however for ASP open up two ADO connections and push and pull the data from one to the other

yahve

because I didn't know you could do it that way!
but now that I think about it that makes a lot more sense :)
though for a one time thing probably doesnt make that much difference anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back