Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

katz76

MIS
Nov 7, 2003
US
Can anyone tell me if the Backup Exec SQL agent for v8.5 will work with Backup Exec 8.6? I'm thinking it might be possible as we use the Exchange 9.0 agent with BE 8.6 with no problems. Just wondering if anyone has any insight into this.
Thanks.

I wouldn't use the SQL Agent if you don't have to. Do 'native' SQL Server backups to disk and use Veritas to copy the backup files to tape.

Other than that advice, I don't know if the 8.5 agent will work with 8.6 BE.

-SQLBill

Thank you for your suggestion. I am going to look into it.

Is the procedure for copying the SQL files to another location so they can be backed up documented anywhere?
Thank you very much.

Yes, in the SQL Server Books OnLine. They are installed as part of the Client Tools that come with SQL Server. You can find them at Start>Programs>Microsoft SQL Server>Books OnLine on a computer where SQL Server is installed.

Use the Index tab and enter BACKUP DATABASE.

Basically the syntax is:

BACKUP DATABASE dbname TO physical_location

example:

BACKUP DATABASE northwind TO 'D:/Backups/northwind_data.bak'

-SQLBill

Great. Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate it.

After reading the SQL Books Online and hearing SQLBill's advice for backing up a SQL database I decided to try it for myself. After stopping the services and typing in the database backup command I got an error message stating that that "backup" was not a recognized command. Am I missing something?
Thanks.

Disregard the last post. I decided to schedule the backup through the wizard in Enterprise Manager. As SQL is not my strong suit at all (I am a Network and NT/Win2K Server guy) can anyone tell me if the wizard backup will be sufficient? I am planning on backing the data up to a folder and then having Backup Exec backup the folder every night.
THanks

Yes, it's sufficient. Why didn't the other method work? You stopped the services. SQL Server backups can be done while the database is still in use.

-SQLBill

Hey SQLBILL...we are currently having problems backing up our SQL databases with veritas 8.6. The backup used to work, now it doesn't. I read your post on doing a native backup for sql database and backup the backup with veritas. Would you say then that veritas has problems backing up sql or is it the restore part that has you worried? I just wonder if its worth trouble shooting or try it your way.

If life knocks you down, get back up and live.

I had a MAJOR issue with 8.6. Prior to build 3878, it could not backup SQL Server if:

1. you were using SQL Server 2000
2. it was clustered
3. Windows Advanced Server 2000
4. and it wasn't build (version) 3878

If you met all those requirements, your backup would not restore. I had to send my tapes to Veritas for them to recover the data after my system crashed. I had never been notified about this issue and I had bought Veritas after the date the 'bug' was found.

I'm not totally confident with using third party tools to backup SQL Server. I have enough hard drive space that I can easily backup to hard drive and then use BE to copy the backup file to tape.

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back