Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL agent needed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeane

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2001
GB
I've been asked to look after another sites backups, they currently have a SQL server running on NT4.

Currently their db is backed up by selecting the entire drive.

Is having the SQL agent advisable etc? and does it offer and real benefits?

Thanks

Jon

if you have BE already, search this forum for SQL and I've posted detailed instructions on how to backup without the SQL server agent for BE. It works extremely well...

backing up the whole drive won't give a good backup of SQL unless you are very lucky. Backing up either the maintenance plan created flat file OR using the agent will give you a clean backup.

I don't suggest using/buying the SQL Agent. We had lots of problems with it.

I suggest doing 'native' SQL Server backups (using the BACKUP DATABASE commands) and backing up to hard drive and then using Veritas BE to copy those files to tape.

-SQLBill

Thanks folks

I seen your opinion of the SQL agent on other threads SQLBill, I have never had to backup/use SQL before,hence my concern.

To restore it would I need to install SQL and using the native restore commands (i'm making this up as I go along) restore the db back to a usable state or is there a lot more to it?

Jon

Yes, if SQL Server were completely wiped out you would need to reinstall it. Otherwise, if you are only restoring one or more databases you only need to use the SQL Server RESTORE commands.

Are you the SQL Server DBA? If not, sit down with the DBA and discuss how they do backups/restores.

-SQLBill

I'd like to sit down and go through it with the DBA but he was made redundant last week and is not happiest person in the world at the moment.

Hence me being thrown in to it.

Trying to get someone to send me on the course now so I can at least do something with it.

Jon

Jon,

in Enterprise Manager, go to Management then Database Maintenance. Do you have a database maintenance plan in there? Hopefully you do.

In the complete backup, you may well have a backup the database option set. I recommend backing up to disk. Note the folder name that it backs up to (could be set to default directory).

Don't change any of the settings and report on them in this thread (I know its a SQL issue, but we're checking you can take a correct backup). Once that is checked, you can backup the backup folder and you are done.

Now, if the database gets corrupted or whatever, you can restore from the disk backup that the maintenance plan has made. If the server goes completely, you install Windows, SQL server and then restore from tape to the backup folder and restore from the backup folder to SQL.

Trust me - I've used this solution for years!

Jon,
Have confidence, I am also not a SQL guru and this is actually quite easy to do. In addition, backing up transaction logs often during the day and setting the maintenance schedule to erase them after a day, then having your backup, backup these files is a great way to have SQL server run more reliably and be able to return the database to a recent previous state. This can all be done fairly easily through the Enterprise manager.
Good luck, don't you love these learning experiences!!
Jenn

okay, found the Enterprise Manager and the backup section, which you will be please to hear is empty.

As far as the learning curve is concerned I love it, stops me becoming complacent.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back