Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Agent authentication problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

upplepop

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2002
US
I am using the ARCserve SQL Agent to backup a SQL 2000 database on another server. However, whenever a job attempts to backup the database, I get this error:

E8604
Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=dbasql@MSSQLSERVER, EC=Windows Error 1326: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.)

I'm not sure why the job isn't able to logon. The authentication method on the SQL Server is SQL Server and Windows. I put in the 'sa' account username & password into the SQL Agent Account Config., and I use the same 'sa' account in the security settings when I create the backup job.

Any ideas?

I'm havnig the same problem. For months now.

I'm not sure what the case is but if I figure it out I'lll let you know.

If all else fails..........reboot!

When you backup a remote SQL database through the database agent remember to apply security twice: one to gain access to the server the SQL database resides on, then to SQL databases itself. The sa account is for the database. The 1326 error means that access to the Windows server itself is denied. Use the Domain backup account or a local administrator account for this and apply security on the right rows when pushing the start button to submit the backup job.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back