Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL AGENT And ArcServe2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

UBankIT

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2002
US
We are trying to backup our SQL server but we keep getting the error that it cannot backup the file cause it is in use by another process. From what I have read this shouldn't bother the backup process at all. Can anybody help with this problem.

You are correct, if the SQL Agent is installed it should allow you to backup the database even though it is in use. However I have had problems with it in the past. I usually recommend people actually let SQL perform the database backup and then have arcserve backup the .bak file SQL creates. This way you also save the a few hundred dollars by not having to purchase the SQL agent.

Thanks for the suggestion unfortunaely we have already purchased the client. I will run it by my supervisor though. Thanks for your input.

The SQL agent should not have a problem backing up the SQL database, even though it is in use, are you sure you backing up using the SQL agent? When in the backup config screen can you expand and see the individual databases?

guru

hi guru
if i just installed sql agent on database server will enterprise manager will detect it?

Hi santosh,
No, the enterpise manager will not detect it, and will make no reference to it. The SQL agent however uses SQL's own backup utilities to perform the "HOT" backup of the database. When backing up you can see the SQL databases and select which ones to backup. It is recommended though that you use the SQL SA account (Service Account) as the authentication when setting it up.

guru

On the databasefiles themselves we also get messages that the files are in use (on some servers, not all). These errors are created by the NT-agent and (I think) you can ignore them (place a filter that skips them). The databases are backed up through the SQL-agent as you can see in the job, when you look in the job-log you will see a little further in the log that the source looks something like dbasql@MSSQLSERVER\pubs. In the job there is a seperate container named 'Microsoft SQL Server'. If you restore this database through the SQL-agent (the MS SQL Server container), the files that were 'missed' by ARCserve or the NT-client agent are restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back