Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL Accumulate detail data

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksaab2002

MIS
Jan 6, 2005
US
Hi,

I have data that looks like:

ticket code
12345 a
12345 b
12345 c
45567 a
45567 b

How do I write a query to make it look like

ticket codes
12345 a,b,c
45567 a,b

thanks!

If you are planning on using the UDF/ConcatenateCols method, beware... there is a bug in the code. You should add another condition to the where clause.

[tt]AND Col Is not NULL[/tt]

If you run the function without this where clause, you can get the wrong data (missing values). What's worse is that it will appear as though it is working. The worst kind of bug to have, in my opinion.

The "For XML Path" method does not have this problem. But, the UDF method is the only one that works with SQL2000.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

I should clarify that the bug is with the code at jahaines.blogspt.com. The code at wiki.lessthandot.com has the additional where clause.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

The original test data was....

[tt]
INSERT INTO t VALUES (1,'a');
INSERT INTO t VALUES (1,'b');
INSERT INTO t VALUES (1,'c');
INSERT INTO t VALUES (1,'d');
INSERT INTO t VALUES (2,'e');
INSERT INTO t VALUES (2,'f');
INSERT INTO t VALUES (3,'g');
INSERT INTO t VALUES (4,'h');
[/tt]

You get this:

[tt][blue]
id Cols
----------- -----------------
1 a,b,c,d
2 e,f
3 g
4 h
[/blue][/tt]

If you add...

[tt]
INSERT INTO t VALUES (1,NULL);
INSERT INTO t VALUES (1,'X');
INSERT INTO t VALUES (1,'Y');
[/tt]

You now get...

[tt][blue]
id Cols
----------- -----------------
1 X,Y
2 e,f
3 g
4 h
[/blue][/tt]

From id = 1, the a,b,c,d is missing. The problem is with the function and is easily fixed.

Code:
ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[ConcatenateCols](@Id INT)
RETURNS VARCHAR(MAX)
AS
BEGIN
	DECLARE @RtnStr VARCHAR(MAX)

SELECT @RtnStr = COALESCE(@RtnStr + ',','') + col
	FROM dbo.t
	WHERE id = @Id
              [!]And col > ''[/!]

RETURN @RtnStr
END

By adding "And col > ''" you are filtering out the nulls and the empty strings. This problem is pretty well explained here: thread183-1159740

-George

I had it in my thread archive.

-George

Thank you both, I was able to build it out, tested and works fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back