Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 7.0 - SQL 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjbalicki

Programmer
Jan 30, 2001
US
Is it possible for SQL 7.0 Enterprise Manager to see a SQL 2000 server? It isn't working (Can't register a 2000 server) and I don't really expect it to, but I'd like to know for sure.

I had such problems some time ago, but it was because I was trying register server and using slashes(/) instead of backslashes(\). John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

Yes you can! It is very slow though. Actually it's only slow getting into the databases....once you're in you're in you should be able to move around at a normal pace.

Cristen

In that case, what procedure should I follow?

Shall I treat the 2000 svr as an ODBC data source, or as a normal SQL Server? (I mean, when trying to add it as a linked server).

Please advise.

J.C.

PS: I try to add it in either way and, for example, when trying as an ODBC, I get this error:

"Error 7303: Could not initialize data source object of OLE DB provider MSDASQL. Login failed for user "\".

I'm so sorry. I read your post wrong. SQL 7.0 Enterprise Manager is not compatible with SQL 2000 server. However, SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager is compatible with SQL 7.0 server. I'm sorry if I have confused you in any way.

No confusion, no problem. Thanks for your efforts. I was able to make an ODBC connection using the 7.0 driver and use the Query Analyzer that comes with 7.0. That'll do for now for me anyway. Thanks again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back