Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 7.0 , any patch for ODBC timeout? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughed00

Technical User
Jan 15, 2001
US
Enterprise manager times out prematurely on some queries and the maximum setting for timeout threshold seems to be 30000 ms. I have been told this is a bug (not being able to increase the timeout threshold). Any fix?

try setting the max to -1, works with borland database engine...
pat

Have you tried setting it to 0?

Gladys Clemmer
gladys.clemmer@fifsg.com

This apparantly has no effect in SQL 7.0 either. At least in Enterprise Manager or desktop versions of 7.0 to reach the database.

Check your network card setting. Change full/half duplex to auto in client and server.

Do you mean the actual driver setting for the card? I am on a token ring network for the first time in my life and not sure what or where stuff is. The Olicom card setup does not have any reference to duplex, isn't that ethernet?

IN any case, the ODBC timeouts occur locally to the database using EM.

There is a Technet article I found acknowledging that the max of 30000 ms is a bug, but they say they have no fix other than to run all queries in Query Analyzer!

You need network administrator to change the setteing of network adapter. Before it, try just append a 100 records to SQL linked table. If still get time out error, I am sure that it is network performance problem. I have the same case.

I don't think it's a network performance problem, though a slow network would aggravate it. Some queries just take more than 30 seconds. I'm having the same problem running the Enterprise Manager locally on the server and remotely.

And, I'm pretty sure the problem is in Enterprise Manager becaues I have no problem accessing the views from the Query Analyzer, or a remote MS Access applition with the ODBC time out jacked up to cover the query time.

My query time out is set to the default 0 (infinite) and also 0 in the Tools/Options/Connections/Query Time Out text box in the Enterprise Manager. 0 is not documented as infinite here, but 300 seconds doesn't help a 75 second query. It still times out in 30.

I think that the 30,000 ms referred to the discriminator for saving query results on long queries in the ODBC settings. I don't believe that this is a time out.

I've also searched the Microsoft SQL Server Knowledge Base to no avail. Any ideas?

I did find a TechNet note on this and it is one of the famous "Microsoft acknowledges that this is an issue, but at this time there is no fix.".

Sorry, I don't have the article #, but they give the wonderful suggestion that you don't run queries using EM, but use query analyzer!!! They also mention the 30,000 ms setting and it is somehow related.

No fix for this in SP3 either as I have tried. If I find the Tech Net reference, I will post it. At least I know I am not the only one with the problem.

Q247070

BUG: Opening a Long-Running View from SQL Server Enterprise Manager Gets ODBC Timeout

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft SQL Server versions 7.0, 7.0 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Data Access Components versions 2.5, 2.6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
Opening a view that executes a long running query in the SQL Server 7.0 Enterprise Manager (SEM) will get an ODBC Timeout error.

CAUSE
The SEM's default for QueryTimeout is 30 seconds, and the timeout value is not configurable.

RESOLUTION
Do not open long running queries from the SEM. Run the query from Query Analyzer instead of SEM.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.

Additional query words:

Keywords : kbSQLServ700 kbGrpVCDB kbGrpMDAC kbDSupport kbMDAC250 kbMDAC260
Issue type : kbbug
Technology :

Last Reviewed: October 23, 2000
© 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.

Anyone know if this was corrected in the SQLS 2000 release? Jon Hawkins

The World Is Headed For Mutiny,
When All We Want Is Unity. - Creed

I ordered 2000 in hopes that this is fixxed (even though I know chances are something equally ugly will raise its head in 2000). When I get it loaded I will let everyone know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back