Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2k5, SSL and ODBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

heathramos2

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2008
US
I am trying to set up my clients to be able to encrypt their odbc connections to the SQL 2005 Server but I am having problems with the set up.

What I have done:

- went to (our local CA) and generated a certificate using the form. I named it the fqdn of the sql server and chose server authentication, Microsoft RSA SChannel Crypt Provider and the use local machine store option.

- I installed the cert on the sql server (running Windows 2003, btw) and checked that it was installed using the mmc snapin.

- I installed this as a local admin and the sql service is running under the Network Service account

- When I select this certificate using the sql configuration gui and restart the sql service, it won't come back up and the event viewer gives a SSL error. when I clear the cert, the service can restart again

what am I missing?

I tried using a self-signed cert but had the same issue

don't think it is a cert issue

most likely the network service account can't read the cert

going to try a local admin acccount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back