Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2K Trace - help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob200

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2000
US
Hello,
Let me give a little recap first, then the trace info.
I have weird problem with SQL 2000 running on Win2k. We some databases that have started having trouble lately. For some reason, we can no longer connect with via the ODBC client to the SQL Server instance. Some of these boxes have multiple instances on them. For some reason, the server will not accept the dynamically allocated port(abitrary port range). We have to hard code the port on the client and the server to get it to connect. This has happened on some servers( for all instances on that box) but not for others.
Here is a bit of what the sniffer shows. It seems with traces that show connections to both good and bad attempts,
that it is something like this" Good Connection
1) 4 packets , udp-based, i assume a lookup of some sort, not DNS, but a lookup to the server for a particular instance
2) 4 packets, TCP connection
3) Start TDS Remote Procedure Call / Response to a command - normal
communication

Bad Connection
1) 4 packets , udp-based, i assume a lookup of some sort, not DNS, but a
lookup to the server for a particular instance
2) Next 10 packets
4 packets of CIFS/SMB communication, a)Get DFS Referral , b) Status Error:
Device Does Not Exist, c)Tree Connect AndX PATH =\\VSQLD02\INST ,
Service=????, d)Status Error = Share name not found
1 TCP packet to start TCP connection
2 Packets Tree Disconnect and 2 packets Logoff
1 TCP PAcket
2 UDP Packets (another lookup??)
The rest of the packet are more extended CIFS/SMB common command to locate
resource, I believe.
It appears that the bad connection is trying to do two things: One is get authenticated to access a resource from DS and two, trying to do a lookupfor the instance. Security problems may be preventing this. Anyone have insight to exactly what the DFS Referral is the above trace and/or what causes it? I'd be glad to send the traces to someone if they would like to look at them.
Please keep in mind that I am a network person that helps out with server problems. Thank you ahead of time for advice offered.

there are a couple of reasons for this, could be switch policiies to anything i.e. is netbios being blocked across your switches?

try this as a teporary fix or an optiimisation if you are using obdc drivers to connect to the sql database, rather than using named pipes (thats what it seems from the SMB that sits on top of NetBIOS) disable multiprotocoling on the SQL server and force the obdc driver to us TCP sockets. i.e. tcp port 1433.

if you dont come right drop me a mail and send me the trace file.

enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back