Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2k default instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarra

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2003
DE
Hi,

Since setting up our W2k SQL2k two node active-active cluster and not being able to use the default instance of SQL2k, we have applied this principle to all the other SQL2k installations and given their instances more descriptive names i.e. BGBMON1 for our system monitoring server etc.

However, it seems that some third party system tools will not detect a SQL server installation unless a default instance exists. Specifically, I have found this with two applications - St Bernard's UpdateExpert and Bindview Information Server. This is now causing us a bit of a headache.

Has anyone else noticed this and what, if anything, has been done to get round the problem.

Cheers,

Rob.

you may need to preface your instance name with the server name too.

Like ...

[ServerName/InstanceName]

inclusive of the [] bracket.

Thanks

J. Kusch

???Why CAN'T you use the default instance??? Is this by your choice or because of the use of active/active cluster?

I'm really curious about this. I have an active/passive cluster and use the default instance along with a named instance.

-SQLBill

If I remember rightly we could only set up one of the virtual servers with a default instance so one of them had to be named. So at the time we decided to name them both in order to try and keep to a consistent naming convention.

Unfortunately UpdateExpert and Bindview expect a default instance - there appears to be no option to point them elsewhere.

The slash goes the other way doesn't it?

[ServerName/InstanceName]

should be

[ServerName\InstanceName]

or doesn't it matter?

Ladyhawk. [idea]
** ASP/VB/Java Programmer **

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back