Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2012 Profiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
I have been looking up help (useless in SQL 2012) and googling for days yet cannot find one good article to explain how to interpret sql profile traces. It took a while to find out that on SQL 2012 the duration is milli and not micro seconds. Say I have a query that shows 12353 as the duration, 2714 as CPU, 353071 as reads and 9 as writes. I know this means the query took just over 12 seconds, but what is the 2714 imply? Does the 353071 imply it looked up this many records or is this also a duration? Why is there not a simple help page that describes what each column is and how to interpret it?

Admittedly, this is from SQL 2000, but it covers the basics. CPU is displayed in Milliseconds in SQL Profiler, but when you save it to a table, the value is converted to microseconds. Reads would be page reads, rather than row reads. You appear to have a query in need of tuning.

I've checked another random trace and in the trace file that I saved and view within profiler I have CPU 265 and Duration 275. In the SQL table that I saved it to the CPU is 265 and the Duration is 275793. The CPU doesn't change. I'm assuming that 275 in the trace is actually 0.275 (millisecond) and the table is 275793/1,000,000=0.275793 (microseconds). The CPU is 0.265 seconds?

The query was traced on purpose as it has to query a lot of data and was using that as a test trace to try and figure out what these values are. I still don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back