Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2005 License Model 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLHacker

MIS
Aug 10, 2006
US
I'm trying to find out how to tell which license model was used when several SQL Server 2005 instances were installed. I tried @@Version, but it doesn't include information on whether it is licensed per processor or per server (with CALs).

Does anyone know how to find this information on SQL Servers that are already installed?

Thanks!

Try this

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY ('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

HTH

Thanks for the suggestion.

However, that still doesn't show me the license model (per processor or per server (seat/named user/etc)).

I did call Microsoft's licensing department, and the "response" I got was that there is no longer a way to differentiate between per processor installs and per server installs when doing the installation, or after the fact. The ony thing that Microsoft cares about is the license you have purchased.

What does this show?

Code:
Select ServerProperty('LicenseType'), ServerProperty('NumLicenses')

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Ah...good catch. I used manmaria's suggestion and looked up the properties of SERVERPROPERTY, and found 'LicenseType' and 'NumLicenses'. Guess what came back? "DISABLED" for every instance of SQL Server 2005 I ran it on, and "NULL" for license number.

So...evidently Microsoft hasn't gotten rid of the registry value that held that information for SQL Server 2000, but no longer populates it with SQL Server 2005.

The guy at Microsoft told me that they did that intentionally to make it easier for them and the customer. In 2005 and above, the type of license purchased is all they care about.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back