Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2005 Database Mail Shutting Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogHunter

Programmer
Jun 4, 2004
US
I have setup database mail on my SQL 2005 server. It works fine. I am using it to send subscription mail. If the email addresses are good, it works fine. If there is a bad email address rather then skipping that email address, it shuts down and quits the rest of the process.

Is there a way to configure it to log the error and move on? With SQL 2000 all it did was toss it into a queue and hope. The SMTP server dealt with the problems. Now it seems Database Mail is determining there is a problem and giving up.

While I love the new sysmail tables that allow me to track what happened, I hate the fact the the system decides if is too frightened by an error and it needs to runaway and hide. [:D]

Also, does anyone know of a good resource for describing the sysmail table relationships?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Thom

I believe that everything runs through the sysmail_mailitems table.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Yes it does, my question / problem is where does the behavior for error handling occur? Is it configurable? If so, how?

I ave search a large number of books on this topic an not found one that addresses database mail much further than how to configure it out of the box. I have it going with the default configuration. The problem is it shuts down when an error occurs. I would hope there would be an option to log the error and move on to the next record. Or perhaps just fire and forget like dbmail does.

As far as I know there isn't any way to change much.

You can change the retry setting when when a message fails.

I've never seen database mail shut it self down because of a bunk email address before.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back