Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2005 Client Tools through SMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewdown

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2006
US
Has anyone done this yet? In the setup folder for SQL 2005 client tools there are multiple .msi files and I am wondering which one I can use to create the package.

Anyone know?

I see no one has replied to your post and wonder if you figured out how to deploy the tools via SMS. I, too, need to deploy them to approximately 50 PCs and would prefer not to do it manually. I imagine you could just use the sqlcli.msi to create the package. Is that what you did?

I never did get it to work the way I wanted to. Daisy chain SQL 2005 Client tools and then SQL 2005 SP1. It would always fail, so I just pushed out the .exe file to users (<10) and told them to install it themselves.

Luckily enough for me I have not had to push it out to the rest of the developers yet. Which will become a problem if I left it up to them to install it.

I think I tried to do it via sqlcli.msi but never got it to work right (its been awhile).

Maybe you will have better luck than I did. Please post back if you do.

I did it w/3 programs, daisy chained, but the users had to click through some of the install-->

#1: Tools\setup.exe /qb ADDLOCAL=Client_Components,Connectivity,SQLXML,SQL_Tools90
#2: SQLServer2005SP1-KB913090-x86-ENU.exe
#3: sqltools2005-KB918222-x86-enu.exe

But the (2 users) that had to install it found that it would fail if they had manually installed any other SQL tools themselves manually. They had to uninstall any other SQL tools first, then run this install, then re-install whatever else it was that they had done manually.

But I did work with the DBAs to find out *exactly* what options they wanted the web developer team to have. So your ADDLOCAL= may need to be different.

Blog:

Still seems like a pain in the ass either way. How did you daisy chain the programs? Meaning which did you have run before the other one?

Maybe #1 would run only after #2 ran, and #2 ran only after #3 ran??

What's advertised to the user is the #3 program. On the #3 program's Advanced Tab, "run another program first" points to the SP1 update, on the SP1 update (#2) , run another program first points to the Setup.exe one (#1)

So when a tech clicks on the program in Run Advertised Programs, Setup.exe runs first (automatically). When it's done, the Service Pack runs (it's a prompted, next/next/finish install), when that's done, then the KB918222 hotfix. (as a prompted, next/next/finish install)

Oh--one huge thing I forgot to tell you. For the Advertisement, on Advanced Client tab, it had to be "download program from a distribution point". I didn't actually test this, but the DBA helping me design the program sequence said that 1 of the things (I think it was the SP1) would not run from a network location, when installing it manually they had to copy it locally, then run it. I just believed him, and set the ad up to be download-and-execute. It worked, and that's all that mattered to me. :)

This one was relatively easy compared to Visual Studio 2005. That one was 8 daisy chained installs.

Blog:

I see. That may have been the problem then, trying to run SP1 from the network it would fail. Have you tried running the advertisement without downloading SP1 locally?

When it comes time to push it out again I will try it your way.

Nno luck with this. Failed at first because the cache was too small, now it fails saying this:

An error occurred while preparing to run the program for advertisement "FFX2004F" ("FFX00019" - "SQL 2005 SP1"). The operating system reported error 2147942402: The system cannot find the file specified. Additional program properties:
Command line: SQLServer2005SP1-KB913090-x86-ENU.exe
Working directory:
Drive letter (? = any):

Possible cause: This message most commonly occurs when the program’s command-line executable file could not be found, when a required drive letter connection to a distribution point could not be established, or when the program is configured to use the SMS Software Installation Account but the account is not specified, could not be found, or does not have the appropriate permissions.
Solution: Check each of the items listed above.

What a pain in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back