Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2005 certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli20

Programmer
Oct 30, 2003
MX
Hi, im preparing for the 70-229 exam, but im wondering if somebody knows when a SQL 2005 certification will be avialable. is it worth it to certificte in SQL 2000, when the new version is comming out soon??

Eli

I would say it would be worthit. After all there will be upgrade exams you can do which will give you the 2005 cert. Also think how many businesses have spent money on SQL Server 2000. Are these companies really going to spend the money to upgrade to 2005 when it first comes out? There are exams you can sit at the minute for 2005 but these are not the certification exams more a getting to know the software test. My advice would be go for the 2000 first.

From what I have understood by the information that Microsoft has made available about SQL Server 2005, its quite a change from 2000.
Given the amount of data stored on SQL servers across the world, I think many organisations will be reluctant to upgrade production servers (at least) until SQL 2005 has a good track record, and applications that connect to them have been tested.

John

SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 are going to be quite different. There probably won't be any certification exams for at least a few months after SQL 2005 is released.

I'd recommend getting SQL 2000 MCDBA now, then get the SQL 2005 MCDBA later. This will give you a much more rounded certification track, and the extra certs will look better.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

thank you all for your advice, i think ill go for the SQL 2000 one, the 70-229...

wish me luck!!

Eli

I contacted a training vendor who indicated the 2005 certifications probably wouldn't show up for 18 months yet.

he could of course have been trying to encourage me on to the current 2000 certification courses.

Dazed and confused

Yeah, that sounds about write. It takes time to write the questions and get them reviewed and found relivent by the reviewers.

Denny

[noevil]
(My very old site)

I want to get on the MCDBA track myself but due to work commitments it probably won't be for at least 3 months.
70-229 will be my first target.

Dazed and confused

skittle, dont forget that SQL 2005 isnt even out yet, so its hard to be an 'expert' at it...

considering the time its taking, it'll be a while before its out...
when you are mcdba 2000, i'm sure there'll be an upgrade path, maybe for 2 MCPs to cover the new SQL config and the .net programming side.

have you sat any other MCPs for this track yet?

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at

Yuop I agree.

It will have to be out this year though.

I certainly plan to do the SQL server 2000 exams for an MDBA. Start in a couple of weeks. If nothing else, it will be excellent preparation for 2005.

Dazed and confused

I just got back from the MS Road show and we are still 4-6 months from getting SQL 2005.

Denny

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back