Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2000, moving mdf and ldf files to different drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk5

Technical User
May 18, 2004
US
I have a question in regards to moving mdf and ldf files from one drive to the other on the same
Is there a way to move the files without stopping the SQL services, if so, is it Sp_detach and sp_attach process?
I am planning to stop the sql services and then move the files to a different drive. is it the best practice?
Can anyone please let me know
Thanks

You cannot just stop the service and move the files. When the service re-starts, it will look for the files in their original locations.

The best approach would be to detach the database, move the files, and then attach them from the new location. You do not need to stop the service to do this.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Gammastros - Thanks for your reply, but once i move the files to different drive, i will rename the old drives to something else and then rename the new drives as the old ones. that way there shouldnt be any problem.
My question is when we use detach and attach commands, is it good for database size like 150 GB

Thanks

kk5,

In my experience, the size of the database doesn't matter (for the attach and detach) process. Unfortunately, my experience is with databases less than 1 GB.

My best advice for you is to wait a couple more hours. mrdenny will most likely have something to say regarding this question. He is more familiar with administering SQL Server than I am. He also has more experience with larger databases than I do.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

thank you George, i will wait for Mr Denny

Thanks
KK

KK5
You can detach a db of any size. I have detached db's up to 800gb without any problems in the same amount of time it takes to detach smaller db's. Just be sure you don't select the option to update stats as it update the stats on the db before detaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back