Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SQL 2000 Job Problem - General network error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjax

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
Recently, we've been getting the following message when running a job in sql 2000 that executes and sp but not all the time.

"ConnectionCheckForData (CheckforData()). [SQLSTATE 01000] (Message 10054) General network error. Check your network documentation. [SQLSTATE 08S01] (Error 11). The step failed.:

It's mostly in this one sp that takes a couple of minutes to run but it's not all the time and occasionally, it happens in other jobs. Sometimes, just running it again works, sometimes stopping and starting sql service works and the sp always works when running through query analyzer.

Not much at all on Microsoft's site about this or anywhere else I can find so far. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe

Since you are getting a network error, I would suggest checking your network error logs to see if they will give you more specific information on what is happening. I know we got a lot of these types of errors once when we had an intermittently bad network hub. But is suspect there are lots of diffenrt kinds of network errors that could give you a general error message like this.

Joe,

Did you ever resolve your problem?

I am getting a similar error
(General Network Error; Error 11)
using SQL server 7.0 when running certain SP's from a .net application.

It's works most of the time, but occasionally I get this error. Once the error occurs, it seems to persist.

The SP runs fine from Query Analyzer

Ken

Yes and no, because we upgraded our server to a new box(not because of this problem) but haven't had a problem since.

Sounds like a problem with a NIC card in the old server. IF it happens again, from a command prompt, ping your SQL server, with the /t (pings until stopped). Let it go for a while (a couple of hours or more). You may want to redirect the output of the ping to a file so you can look at it later. The ping should fail when the network has a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back