Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spyware - says registry hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzman7

Technical User
Aug 1, 2005
US
Trying to help a friend running Win2K with SP4.

Somehow, he's got some spyware/malware installed it would seem.

Whenever you use a dialup connect to login to your ISP, you continually get popup messages saying the registry has been hacked, go to such and such website, to get the software to fix obviously. It would seem there are 50 different websites to go to - probably all the same entity.

Adware SE doesn't see this.

1 - agree that we've been hacked?
2 - best tool to fix this?

TIA

Zzman7

Are you using a pop up blocker? Most of the time when a machine warns a person to go to a site it is because of a browser high jack. I would try installing and running Spy Bot Search and Destroy. Leave the setting at defult, do not change them after instalation.

If this is what im thinking it is, go to control panel, then adminstrative tools then services and stop and disable messenger on there. If its what im thinking that will stop the pop ups. For messenger service on dial up on win2k pro will bring pop ups saying download this to stop this and etc...
If this isnt what it is I apologize but still might be helpful information.

I have to agree with electronicsfreak i think its the messenger service also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back