Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spyware program

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentucky

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
what is best free spyware deleter and anti-virus program?
for windows xp.

Personal opinion

AVG anti-virus (though it has bloated up a lot recently, and I'm leaning more to Avast nowadays).

Spyware - nothing gets it all. Windows Defender gives realtime protection. Adaware and Spybot free versions don't, but are effective removers of spyware. I use all 3 (and occasionally others) for machine cleanups. Some spyware needs individual treatment, and hijackthis is a good strart point in those cases.

I use Avast and Ad-Aware. They seem to do the job for me...

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

As mentioned: AdAware, SpyBot S&D, CBoCleaner (Comodo), I also use SpywareBlaster to innoculate (effectively stops certain spyware from installing in the first place) - as ANTI-Spyware progs...

Anti-Trojan (and more) - I use the free version of AVG AntiMalware (ex. Ewido)...

and as Anti-Viral - AntiVir Personal (free)...

and have not had any problems in a couple of years now...

PS: you should also back up the progs above with a good software firewall, such as Comodo Personal Firewall (free for life)...

Just my $0.02 or 0.02€ worth...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

A lot of it depends on your habits. My game pc, which is behind the hardware firewall in my router, is running no AV/Anti Spyware/Software firewall, and I have no problems. However, I only go to a few trusted web sites, I use Firefox with Add/Script/Popup blocking add ins, and I don't open unknown e-mails or file attachments on it. I have no problems with the machine.

-------------------------------------------------------

However, my web surfing/downloading/family is allowed to touch PC is running:

Zone alarm firewall (I think the free version), more to block anything that trys to phone home than anything incoming.

Ad-Aware, Spybot, and I run Hijack This frequently all for spy/ad-ware.

AVG Antivirus (free), and I also scan it with Trendmicro's Housecall service (free, web based) occasionally as well.

With all that I still occasionally have malware issues, because people click file attachments and an occasional banner or popup add, send and a receive e-mail forwards without using BCC, and surf the web clicking on any link that google brings up that sounds like what they are looking for.

So really, it depends on your person habits. Based on the way you posed you question, I would get everything that has been mentioned, and use Firefox instead of internet explorer. One thing of note: if you do a we search for the products listed, rather than going direct to their sites, you may end up with a lot of similarly named products that are either in-effective, or actually ad-ware laden themselves.

This is the internet... to a non technical user it is about as safe as the white van with a guy offering free candy if you climb in the back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back