Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spybot didn't catch a 'backdoor" that yahoo antispy did

Status
Not open for further replies.

orypecos

Technical User
Mar 3, 2004
US
I did a update to Yahoo antispy and did a search and it found a backdoor.win32.brose.d .
So before removing it, I updated my Spybot, and then did a search and it didn't find the backdoor.
So I guess it is true, Spybot doesn't catch everything.
On another topic. I don't download any of my email, I just leave it on the web. And have html turned off. I have used regularly updated Symantec to search for viruses for the last couple of months, and have never found any. So I would say that if you don't want viruses, don't download your emails.
I use Zonelarm on XP.

Spybot used to be the de facto standard, but they've become my third or fourth choice now. Even the stuff they detect they usually don't clean off very well (unless it's old crap).

So what is the best free stuff now? Please leave their website address. I am now fearful that I will run into a spoofed site that is maskerading as a spy remover site.

I have a old version of Spyblaster(it wanted me to upgrade) and it told me to turn it off, then use the 'remove program' option, but the program isn't there.

SpywareBlaster - is an Inoculation programm, not an ACTIVE Spyware scanner...

you probably had it installed at one time and deleted it without going through deinstallation... search for the Registry Key, delete it there...

Good AntiSpyware: MS/Giant AntiSpyware, SpyBot, AdAware in combination, not just one alone... simple facts, what one misses the others find...

then I would also go and get EWIDO, darn good AntiTrojan with nice extra features... PRO version costs, but Freeware is in the same package...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How is "eTrust EZ PestPatrol" from Computer Associates?

I would say that if you don't want viruses, don't download your emails."

A little niave this I have to say. Many Viruses now don't need you to open an attachment to get on your pc.
Mallicously coded websites, port scanning, IRC, warez, cracks, Peer to Peer, open shares, poor password policy; just some of the ways you get one now.
Remove your firewalls, turn of your A/V and connect via broadband to the web. Leave a couple of hours and turn on your virus protection. Now see how many infections you have.

However, I do agree web based mail is more secure, but not always suitable.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

i use ca pestpatrol corp edition at work and i like it. easy configuration and central management. that is the only one i use on workstation and recently i rean the free webroot anaylzer and it picked up nothing on the workstation so i can assume that ca is doing its job. i also bought it for home and it works great with conjuction with the other ones listed in this forum like spywareblaster, spybot, ad-aware, and ms antispyware. Though with MS and if it continues to be free i won't update my subscription to ca for my home pc since i can get something just as good for free.

Also yahoo antispyware toolbar is based on ca pestpatrol.

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ~ Baggins

When I do a search for Spyblaster, I find it and it will run, so is it just in the registry? I hate to ask this, cuz I see reference to registry alot, but how to I delete the spyblaster in registry and will that clear my computer of Spyblaster totally so I can download the new version?
As far as the downloading emails, I have syntec since May or so and after updating Symnetec on a regular basis, I do a scan and have never found a virus. Course, now I usually don't even open a email that I don't know the person that is sending it and have stopped doing banking on line. It just seems to dangerous. I am back to snailmail. :-(
Thanks

Spyware Blaster does add ActiveX Blocks and uses the built in Website Block to the Registry... you do not need to undo those changes, especially by hand...

You can de-install the program using the Add/Remove Software App in the Control Panel... to be able to update to the newer type of Spyware Blaster...

Hope this answered your question...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

As mentioned before, "Add/Remove Software App" doesn't have the 'Spyware Blaster' listed, so I can't remove it there.

Per this post in the SpywareBlaster support forum have you tried re-installing the currently installed SpywareBlaster version over the top. This should give you an uninstall option.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

There are some good ones out there. I use Ad Aware SE right now.
I believe the right program for anyone depends on their surfing habits. What sites they visit and what they do at those sites.

Take Care

Doug Woodall
SpywareBiz

The best free ones are
1. Microsoft AntiSpyware
2. Adaware SE

Use HijackThis too ... and check its misc tools section as well.

Granted, it is old (June 2004), but eWeek (tech mag) had this ( ) to say about Yahoo! Anti-Spy:

"With Claria, best known for its Gator eWallet application, Yahoo is also a business partner. Claria, based in Redwood City, Calif., delivers pop-up and other forms of advertising from its GAIN ad network through software downloaded onto users' machines."

How effective can it possibly be if it lets through and even partners with one of the oldest pieces of spyware around?

~tearsong

As mentioned above the best combination of free ones are:

Microsoft Antispyware
Ad Aware SE
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster by Java cool
Spyware Doctor 3.2
Ewido Security Suite (trial but the scan engine and updates are free after)
cwshredder
Hijack This
Yahoo Antispyware built in toolbar

A combination of all these will work. You can't just depend on one or two since there are no standards yet on what is spyware and what isn't or if one conforms to the rules of one of the antispyware program guides.

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Ontop of what has already been mentioned, I wanted to add that F-Prot Anti-Virus has been picking up malware/spyware along with its usual great AV detection. I've found this to be a massive bonus considering the angle most other companies take with their AV detection versus AS detection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back