Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spyblocker pop up

Status
Not open for further replies.

braddds

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
CA
I have a pc that shows a "Spyblocker" pop up indicating several threats running. If you right or left click on the icon, running in the clock tray, it launches a web page where you can download it. This acts just like the spyware it claims to stop.

I've done a search and have found it (Spyblocker) called spyware to a great product! Regardless of which it is I'd like it gone. I have run Hitmanpro but no joy. I used WinXP "safemode" option in Hitman and it (Spyblocker) was still running in the taskbar, making it impossible to remove.

Has anybody any experience with removing this trayicon?

Cheers

Hitmanpro runs Spybot, adaware, SpywareBlaster, Webroot, Spywaredoctor, Ewido and some other little apps. None could rid the pc of the problem. As I said it remains in the systray even in safemode (WinXP) and makes it a tuff little SOB to get rid of!

Cheers

Oops...sorry I re-read the pop-up and it said "Spylocked" not 'Spyblocker'! Anyway I found the offending .dll file in the system32 directory, renamed and rebooted. No system tray icon. I'm re-running Hitmanpro to cleanup the leftovers!

Cheers

To make sure run HiJackThis and post the logfile here, also look back over previous threads to see just what can be involved in a good clean up!

Steve [The sane]: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

Sorry for taking so long in getting back. I was able to get rid of it after finding a .dll file call, using HJT. I was able to remove the tray icon.

System is, or was clean, after I gave it back...can't say what they've done since then ;)

Thanks for the links and info.

Cheers

Post a hijakc this ,og and we'll take a look and make sure you are clean as there maybe other problems?

Member of ASAP Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals

under the name khazars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back