Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spy-Bot Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

coach4u

Instructor
Oct 30, 2004
US
I have Spy-Bot 1.3 loaded on a Win XP Pro machine but every time I try to run it, it freezes. (brand new machine). I use Spy-Bot on another machine Win XP Home edition, with no problems. Any known issues of Spy-Bot not working well on Win XP Pro or network environments? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Patty

Spy-bot work on my XP-Pro. I've seen problems with PC with spyware/adware that will prevent Spy-Bot from running. Are you fully patched? Are you running SP2? If so, can Windows firewall be preventing it form running.

Also look at the FAW here for running HiJackThis.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

Spybot doesn't have any known issues with XP SP2. I would suggest connecting to Trend Micro's house call and running their online scanner.

Then I would re-install spybot and see if you can run it. Lastly, there is a 1.4 beta going on for Spybot, take a look into downloading and running that (the main difference is the speed at which the scan completes).

In addition you can also download the MS Beta and see if that picks up any spyware on your system.

Will the program run the update without locking? If so, try running it in safe mode.

Yea, we know Firefox is great. Some of us have customers who have no choice but to run IE, Blasting IE in every post is not helpful

thanks for everyone's help but I found the spy-bot forum and this was their answer - FYI:

Does the processor in the Windows XP Pro system have HyperThreading Technology (HTT or HT)?

Spybot 1.3 hangs in systems HyperThreading Technology.

With HyperThreading:
Open Spybot, then leave it alone
Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab
Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Affinity..."
On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
Go back to the already-open Spybot, and run a scan. It should complete without hanging or losing responsiveness.
It should be fixed in Spybot 1.4.

More here:
Spybot S&d 1.3 Known Issues
This post:
HANGS DURING FIX OR SCAN
1. Hangs During Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back