Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spreads, gutter & bleed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gener8or

Technical User
Mar 27, 2006
US
I've been searching for a couple of days and haven't been able to find an answer. During my searches I've picked up a tremendous about of useful information. My apologies in advance if this question has already been addressed.

I'm a long-time Quark user and am making the switch to ID... something I've been looking forward to for a long time.

I'm having trouble understanding the way ID handles spreads, specifically how it handles bleeds which run into the gutter. I'm building a catalog and have images that will run into the binding of the spine - it's a perfect bound book of 176 pages.

In Quark, each facing page has it's own full bleed area but in ID the two pages butt up against one another with no provision for each page's individual bleeds where they meet at the spine - it only bleeds on 3 sides.

Is the bleed toward the spine handled during imposition? What do I need to do to make sure I have the proper bleed at the spine? I've tried creating a margin, but that doesn't add to the page width to create bleed area.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words... ;)

Many thanks for your help.

In the Document setup window, if you have Facing Pages checked, you are given bleed option of Inside, Ouside, Top & Bottom. I assume you require the Inside option. Because the bleed line would show on the facing page, you won't see it. However if you set the Inside bleed and then uncheck the Facing pages in Doc Setup, you will see the bleed line. Then just go back to facing pages.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

hi,

let's think about it. If you have a page with a picture or anything else that goes to the spine in your facing pages view, what will be the endresult when imposition has been maid.

let's say you have 16 page layout and on page 2 you want to have the picture to go to the spine.

Page 2 will be against page 15 in the impostion layout. Page 15 is a right page, page 2 is a left page. So after imposition towards the spine you don't want the picture to go further on page 15, yes?

Well just make sure that youre picture on page goes rigt to the spine, and the imposition won't be a problem. If any doubts contact your printer

hope this helps
carlow

Thanks for the quick response. jmgalvin, the pages were set up like you've noted, and when I uncheck 'facing pages' I'm able to see the inside bleed.

I guess the answer is that there isn't a way to see the bleed when there are facing pages and in order to properly place the images for the inside bleed I'll have to build the page as a single, then marry it to it's facing page.

When I do this, however, the image running into the inside bleed hangs over into the facing page.

carlow, it seems like if I just end the image at the spine where the spreads join there won't be sufficient bleed into the spine - the image will run out where the spine will be perfect bound possibly leaving white space heading into the spine.

This is the situation:
Single page .25" full bleed. Left leaf
01_gutter-bleed_leftleaf.jpg

Single page. .25" full bleed. Right leaf
02_gutter-bleed_rightleaf.jpg

Spread, facing pages. The the bleed from the image on the left leaf laps over onto the right leaf when i marry the spread.
03_gutter-bleed_spread.jpg

Spread, facing pages. This is what it should look like when printed
04_gutter-bleed_spread-desired.jpg

Am I just thinking too much? I'll also contact my printer and see what their take on this is.

Thank you both for you input, it is highly valued.

This might sound simplistic, but can't you just set the inside margin to zero and forget the bleed?

This was interesting so I tried it with with the inside bleed and ran it thorough the Inbooklet SE for 2 up perfect bound setup - with no additonal bleed in the imposer. After the impose, with bleed, I got the image showing across the center cut line.

I then dumped the bleed and set the inside margin to 0, and the image at the center and did a new impose. The image stayed at the cut line.

I'd be very careful of this. It's awfully hard to get things right to a cut or fold line when using bleed. Imposers have bleed settings so you should definitly talk to the printer.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Hi gener8or, the company I work for just had the opposite problem. We usually work in spreads but changed to single pages which caused some confusion.

An inside bleed is unneccesary. The bleed is for when the printer cuts the publication to the right size. The pages are not cut on the inside, they are folded then bound. Think of it like a big newspaper.

However, on the spine of the cover you will need to put some extra space between the pages to account for the thickness of the paper.

jmgalvin, jcape & carlow

Thanks for the help - what you are telling me makes sense. I haven't spoken to the printer yet but when I do I'll post what they told me as well.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back