Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sporadic Ability to print

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokerij

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
Have a Panasonic KX-P3624 connected to Win ME machine and shared. Have had no issues in the past, but all of a sudden there are certain forms and reports that will not print to the machine. I have checked the setting for each report and verified that they are going to the correct printer, but have been unable to resolve them. I get an error message from time to time on the ME machine (printer attached) that there was an error writing to LPT1. Some times it will print fine from other applications and then it will not print at all. I think a removal and reinstall is a good idea, but the clients seem to be weary of this, since there are no drivers for this printer and ME available. The cabling is attached via extensions too for some length and was wondering if that may have something to do with it. Any help will be appreciated.

S.C. Albertin
Systems Coordinator/Newbie Tech
United Way

Help me to find my way, so that I may help others find theirs...

The lack of drivers (what are you telling ME it's talking to?) and the over length cable are both problems and should be addressed before you go about other troubleshooting. If you need to stay with ME get a printer that is supported by it.

It is a small organization that I happen to be helping out. I do not seem them affording a new printer or OS (I hate ME). I will have to check with the current drivers settings to see. After doing some research I have found similar type printers (off by one digit in model number) that have ME or 98 drivers and such, so my initial assumption is that they are using one of those. I figured the cable length was an issue, but they swear up and down to me there has never been issues before. Some people have a difficult time understanding why things work or don't and have hard time understanding that sometimes things just stop working. I will start with recording the drivers now and moving the printer closer to use less cable length. Thanks for your response and any other infomration is greatly appreciated.

S.C. Albertin
United Way

COme to find out ME does have the drivers and I have gone ahead and completely removed and installed the printer a second time with no good results. This is where I am now:

thanks for the info. though, much appreciated. any more will be very welcome.

S.C. Albertin
United Way

Did you try using a shorter cable yet? Did you try sharing it from another computer to see if it exhibits the same problems?

The more I learn, the more I know I don't know enough.
<order>chicken w/garlic sauce combo</order>
For those about to rock, we salute you.
NO DISASSEMBLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back