Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spoolsv.exe problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sobak

MIS
Feb 22, 2001
US
I have a system that starts up and from the very first minute the system is running Spoolsv starts. Under my impression of the Spoolsv file, it is the spooler for the printer. Well the problem is the spoolsv.exe service that is running takes up all the processor time. I've gone into services and stopped the printer service but the spoolsv service keeps running. Has anyone ran into this? If you did how did you fix it.

david e

Is it causing problems? Do you have any Fatal Exception or invalid page fault errors as well? James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

I get no Fatal Exceptions or invalid page faults. The problem is that the processor works at 100%, most of the time going to the Spoolsv service. No errors just the system is a slug. The system in question is a 1.4 Gig Pentium with 256 Megs of RAM.

david e

The spool service should always be running, so don't worry about that. Per Billmac1958, here's one more link if it's the Novell client - we had this problem on many of our machines, and the "nwspool.dll" file didn't work, but the file from this article did: .

Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

I empathize with you .. I had the same problem. The Spoolsv.exe file would start and eat up all the CPU until it froze and you would have to do a hard shut down. Then it would restart when you launched a print service, whether a job or change properties. Make a long story short, I found there was an incompatible printer driver. Once I installed the right drive, I have not had the problem since. I tried MS and they were no help Hope this works

Thank you,
You are correct, we had an hp8500 that was causing the problem, after we deleted the printer out of the system it works fine. Sorry I didn't update the thread, I completely forgot about it. Thanks for responsing...

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

I seem to have the same problem with one of my computers, it shows; spoolsv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. Event ID 7031.

I have been advised by a friend, though I have not done it, to delete System32\spool\printers. Following which you would need to reboot the computer and then reload the printer drivers.

Is this advice effective?

I wouldn't delete it, just rename it to a different name, once you are sure the problem has been resolved then you can delete the folder. Deletion of files can cause you some problems if you need them back.

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Spoolsc.exe keeps closing when windows 2000 starts. I can't print or anything. What can I do?

Most multifunction devices install a filter driver for the print spooler so that it can route the print job to the proper VM, (copy, fax, scan). This filter overwrites the spoolsv.exe kernel driver with the printer manufacturer's filter driver. Windows system file protection then reviews the file type, date, and size, certifies it as 3rd party and replaces it with the spoolsv.exe stored in the protected registry. After that point any time the
spool is created this error will generate. There are many multifunction devices available and most of them do not have MS digitally signed drivers, and this kernel mode driver is one of the reasons.
Try getting service pack 2, and if that doesn't fix it, uninstall your printer, ten download a win2000 driver for your printer, you can check the hardware compatability list at microsoft.com

I have the same problem with SPOOLSV.EXE eating up all the processor resources. It happens "sometimes" when I print from a network computer to a WIN2000 server with an HP1120C connected to it's LPT1. I just took the suggestion to remove all the printer drivers and rebooted. After the reboot, my print job printed????? I haven't even reloaded the print drivers yet!

I have been having the same problem with the spoolsv.exe, however, this is also causing my Office apps to quit responding. I will try the links above and see what works.

Thanks to you all for posting this thread. I had a user driving me insane with printers disappearing. Thanks to you all, I was able to uncover he had brought his laptop home, installed a local printer, sent a large job to print and then turned his computer off without clearing the cache. Renaming the c:\winnt\system32\spool\printer folder resolved the matter.

I was stumped until I found this site through Google.com
I had upgraded an NT system with all of the latest updates from I then installed Win2000 Pro to take advantage of the USB support for a printer I needed to install.
After the upgrade to W2K the printers folder would not open.
I could not install anything. Everything I launched even after rebooting would not open. I could not get the Product Updates to run from the site.
Spoolsv.exe spiked the usage up to 67%+ and consumed memory until the system crashed.
Here's what I did to finally fix the problem, Thanks to the help of several different postings on this site.
I took this suggestion from Azmath... "This is a complex problem with a simple answer. Just go to the control panel->admin tools->services and check the print spooler option is set to automatic (not disabled or manual). If not, set it to automatic option and then start the service. Hope this will solve ur problem irrespective of the type of printer."
I set the print spooler option to manual and rebooted.
This fixed the problem of running out of memory/resources but my system was running very very slow.

I then applied the fix from Novell as suggested by Billmac1958 in the Jul 27, 2001 posting...
"You might try one of these links

good luck

Billmac "

I am running the Novell Netware Client 4.8. I downloaded the 253829.exe file to C:\temp and followed their instructions for the fix. It installed a new NWWS2NDS.DLL file.
I then rebooted again and set the print spooler back to Automatic and rebooted.
It worked PERFECTLY, No registry to hack and no files to find to delete. Also all of my printers came back and I could print again. I have since downloaded all of the updates from Microsoft and the system still runs just fine.
I have duplicated this fix on 4 different systems and they all are running great.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH to everyone who helped me resolve this problem.

We have an HP800 on our network that prints terribly slow when someone prints thru the Windows 2000 Server that is only set there for print jobs. If I hook up the printer to a workstation thru USB, it prints terrifically fast with no lag on the workstation.. (Cad station) BUT.. what happens is the SPOOL32.EXE service on the other workstations shuts down randomly. If I put the Hp800 back on the Server (disconnecting the USB).. all is well,... just slow.

All sp's are up to date, newest driver is used.

not happy about the speed,.. just tolorating it for now..

Brian.

What is the speed of your network/print server card? That has a direct influence on how fast it will spool the jobs up to the network and print them. I run in a 100Base-T switched network. Corel Draw and Adobe Photoshop files print very slow on the HP8500 that we have here. Hooking it up via USB will make the printer spool jobs much faster than it would on a 100Base-T network.

david e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back