Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spoolsv.exe problem #2 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolie

Technical User
Sep 30, 2001
US
I'm having problems with the spoolsv.exe. Symptoms: I get a program error on startup (Win2k):[spoolsv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created]. Additionally, the original printer icon has disappeared w/ no trace, and double clicking on Add A Printer generates the error: [Out of Resources: Printer operation cannot continue due to a lack of resources. The print subsystem is unavailable]. I cannot uninstall the printer b/c it is not registered as being there, and I've also tried installing Service Pack 2 for Win2k, but receive the same spoolsv.exe program error, followed by a Service Pack Setup Error: [The remote procedure call failed]. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

check out Dilksy's ( Nov 9, 2001) suggestion. Been having problem for God know's how long and then tried deleting temp files. Finally!

This happend to one of my NEWLY purchased pc's (offsite) and it wasn't until I setup a "test" lab with the same hardware that I noticed that the driver wasn't digitally signed by Micro$oft. So the "tech" on-site, reinstalled the Os and bought a new printer. Problem fixed. Oh the machine is running win 2k pro SP2 with a LexmarX printer. This search find (like all) via Google ROCKED! Thanks to all that posted and help solve this ongoing issue.

tried the reg edits, tried deleting spools, tried stopping and starting the service. No luck though. Problem still exists. Printers are HP1125C but cannot get to them to uninstall

Any ideas.

I replaced the "recommended" -LE driver for my Z42 with the system generic -SE driver, also available from their website, and now the printer works fine. Try it.

Another example of the KISS principle.

I also have this problem with spoolsv.exe errors.

we use IP printing to two KYOCERAS one FS-1700 and one FS-3750.

I dont get the message upon startup but after a while of printing it shows and the spoolsv.exe service must be restarted from the services manager device.

Dont have any *.spl files to delete and nothing in the directory that should not be there.

pls help

If you are using Novell Netware client 4.7x or lower, you will have problems with the printer subsystem using excessive CPU time. you need to upgrade the NetWare client to 4.8 and add the update 4.81(?) to that.

I have win 2000 pro installed and all of sudden my epson stylus 1270 USB printer does'nt print large image files.

I tried contacting Epson and they said I have to try with the generic EPS driver and it still did'nt work. I had the now famous spoolsv.exe error message.
I tried substituting the driver with the latest driver for win 2000 pro from the epson site and still it did'nt work.
Finally epson gave up and said it was the operating system's fault.

I tried deleting all the files in the c:\winnt\system32\spool directory to no avail.

I tried eliminating the Epson printer from the printers folder then I used regedit and deleted all the instances where the Epson printer was mentioned.

I re-installed the printer with the newest drivers again and I still have the same problem i.e. I dont' get the spoolsv.exe error message BUT the printer still does'nt print large image files.

I am going nuts over this problem and I am afraid I won't be able to solve it unless I re-install win 2000 pro!!
And then I am afraid the problem will come back somehow.

Please Help.
Thanks in advance.

Hey Guys! I'm new to this forum but I will be a regular visitor not that I have solved my problem. I have had one of the "spoolsv.exe" problems with a Workcentre M940 Xerox printer and Win 2000 Pro. After reading the responses if find one from:
"Kizagjo (Visitor) Nov 4, 2001
I had the same problem with my Canon BJC 4100
i solved this problem by turning off Bi-Directional Printing. Try it... it mite help!"

It did! No more spoolsv.exe problems.

Thanks to this visitor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

If you are using a novell network the latest client wnt4.83SP1 fixed this problem

I am having the same problem with a Lexmark Printer.. brucela... who knows the fix?

I don't think this is a printer-dependent problem. My parents have a Hewlitt Packard copier/printer/fax on Win 2000, and ther are getting the same thing. I read on another site to delete the SYSTEM32/SPOOL/PRINTERS file, and it fixed the problem.

Hi there,
I've had the exact same problem (spoolsv.exe error at startup, error message about cpu registers addresses and write protected file). I was unable to print, find my printer Brother HL 1250, could even not open the printers settings folder and to reinstall any printer... ALL this after having installed this damned crap called BITWARE fax program (which is i guess a 16 bits program) that a friend of mine gave me because i had some problems using Winfax (but it's another problem i'll post later)... After having read all your uselful posts and eliminated all possibilities i could think to use, i simply searched for 'bitware' inside the registry and deleted all the keys linking to this program. I restarted my Win2K pro and all is fine now : my printers are back and i get any errors...
Hope it will help ! See you...

TampaMan,

You may want to look at this thread about HP Printers for some insight.

It's called SP 4 Error from July 02. thread616-592219

Hope it helps.

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

Win2000 pro sp4 lost all my printers.
After reading posts of that in this forum I finally found solution.
It had somthing to do with ..\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\ 2 and 3 + registry HKLM ...print\environments\Windows NT x86\version -2 and -3.
By the way, there was and still is nothing in ..spool\Printers -folder.

Removed (backed up first) drivers\2 -folder and renamed 3 to 2.
Removed (backed up first)register version -2 and renamed version -3 to version -2.

Now after boot there are both 2 and 3 drivers and -versions but only hp-plotter in 2 and all others (7 of them) in 3 and system seems to be OK and network-printers work too.

I had the same issue appear for one particular user when he logged onto our domain - it was not associated with any one printer. I noticed that the same error did not occur when I logged on myself.

I deleted his user profile in C:\Documents and Settings\username and had him log in again. Windows re-created a new user profile and all was good (I copied his shortcuts and favorites first).

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back