Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spoolsv.exe problem #2 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolie

Technical User
Sep 30, 2001
US
I'm having problems with the spoolsv.exe. Symptoms: I get a program error on startup (Win2k):[spoolsv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created]. Additionally, the original printer icon has disappeared w/ no trace, and double clicking on Add A Printer generates the error: [Out of Resources: Printer operation cannot continue due to a lack of resources. The print subsystem is unavailable]. I cannot uninstall the printer b/c it is not registered as being there, and I've also tried installing Service Pack 2 for Win2k, but receive the same spoolsv.exe program error, followed by a Service Pack Setup Error: [The remote procedure call failed]. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

I am also having the same exact problems. I even reloaded win 2000 PRO and it did not fix. Using a LEXMARK Z43 and cannot get it back to use it. Looking for help with this problem.

don't know if it is coincidence, but I am also using a Lexmark printer, model Z51

I have dealt with this exact same problem also using a lexmark printer. In the end I reloaded W2K to solve the problem.

When you boot into safe mode, the spooler service does not start, so the printer does not list. The printer is still there, but without the spooler on, you won't see it. After booting, go to the run menu and type "net start spooler" and see if the spooler starts. I am having a similar problem with my spooler service. It starts going haywire and gobbles up all of my virtual memory until I have to restart. Because of its CPU cycle hogging (always over 50%), it also crashes my programs, mainly Office 2000.

I don't really have a solution for you, but if you can get that spooler started, maybe you can get rid of that printer and start from scratch.

I have had a similar situation, without the cpu usage problem, but the spooler would show an error on startup. I went to the control panel|services and restarted the spooler from there. You could also try setting the service to start manually instead of automatic which should then start the spooler when you try to print the first time. You may also want to go to the services and check the dependencies in the properties to see if there is anything strange there. It may be a case of TCP/IP printing being installed and the printer not liking it. From the task manager you should be able to stop the spoole by ending the spoolsv.exe process from the task manager.

I have now tried reinstalling the entire win2k operating system, and everything was working fine for all of 10 mintues. i successfully installed the printer, printed a few documents, and the spoolsv.exe error came back... again. i then tried starting in safe mode, and running "net start spooler." from the task manager, i could see that the spoolsv.exe reappeared in the processes, but the spoolsv.exe error would pop back up again and again, and the spoolsv.exe would disappear from the task manager. Is this a direct problem with the lexmark printer driver?

Are you all by any chance spooling from the client to the printer which is spooling from the server to the printer? You get lag which means that the server is sitting idle in the middle of a process.

I solved my spooler problems by having one spool the jobs and the other print directly to the printer.

the print spool error popped up this week with an hp 4000 printer. sp2 did not improve. logged on again as administrator, printer showed as a resource, but as soon as i tried to print to it, spoolsv error message appeared, printer icon disappeared from settings, and add printer resulted in out of resources message.
has anyopne figured out how to recover?

I had the same problem with my Canon BJC 4100
i solved this problem by turning off Bi-Directional Printing.

Try it... it mite help

Have any of you by any chance recently installed Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0? This problem has occurred with me *twice* on the same computer (the second time after a format-and-reinstall solved the original problem), both times immediately after installing Adobe. Not Lexmark here; I am using an HP LaserJet 1100. Anyone found a solution?

From what I've gathered, the spooler has its hand in everything. My problem occured when using an early, unsigned, novell client. Upgrading to 4.81 fixed it. Then I got hte problem again installing our new HP2100. Downloaded signed drivers and its fixed. Basically, if a driver is not digitally signed, Windows2k overwrites certain files to protect itself, which causes problems when using the device. I guess this is right, please correct me if its not. Just trying to increase the awareness level of this problem and what triggers it.

Used the win2k cd to run a repair. Ran NET START SPOOLER from the command prompt to restart spooler. Went into SETTINGS, PRINTER and deleted printer. Reboot. Downloaded new copy of HP 4000 driver. Went into SETTINGS, PRINTER Added the printer back in using the new driver. Seems to be working fine.

This is a complex problem with a simple answer. Just go to the control panel->admin tools->services and check the print spooler option is set to automatic (not disabled or manual). If not, set it to automatic option and then start the service. Hope this will solve ur problem irrespective of the type of printer. OK. If not, lets pray to GOD to help us to solve the problem without the huge task of re-installing or over-installing the whole operating system. Bye

This problem sometimes happens when you cancel a job in the middle of printing. Some temporary files get left hanging around, which you've got to delete. Try deleting the files in: c:\windows\spool\printers and c:\windows\system32\spool\printers. Then restart the spooler or restart the system and hey presto: your printers will be back and the system will not crash. Works for me!

Finally FIXED the Problem (SPOOLSV.EXE - Error) after searching and reading forums after forums. After reading Dilksy's post, I looked in my C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINTERS folder and deleted all files. I was able to re-install my printer. I use a Xerox DocuPrint XJ8C. My printer is printing as usually and haven't encountered any problems (knocking on wood). As for everyone else, Thanx for the info!

Not an answer, but more to the problem. Tried to install Lexmark X73 scanner/printer. Scanner installed Ok, but at the step of printer installation get a message that "Spooler service is not started, Start now?" yes, and nothing happen. Cannot directly add printer either "not enough resources. Printer sybsystem unavailable". Spooler service cannot be started "dependent service was deleted" -- I think it was one when I tried to install printer. Cleared all the traces of Lexmark drivers from registry, System/spool, etc. NET START SPOOLER doesn't work either. Jamjjoy, how to run repair fron Win2k CD??? Anything else failed and I hate to do a clean Win2K setup one more time...Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back