Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spoolsv.exe high cpu usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

larsjuhl

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2001
DK
I have one W2K SP3 Server as File/print and having trouble with spoolsv.exe using loads of cpu, up to 98% and its not going down ... it stays there untill I restart the service and then 10-15 minutes later it goes again...
does anyone have an idea ?

Your running Terminal Services on this machine aren't you.... I have had this same problem, and haven't really come up with a definite solution. I have found some white papers at Microsoft that states that you don't want to make your Term. Serv. a print server at the same time. Here is what I've done to stop the issue.

Make sure your not using roaming profiles. If you are, change all the profile accounts on the server to local. It won't affect the rest of the network. Next thing is to not share any of the printers that are installed on that server.

Also go one step farther with stopping the printer service. Delete the print jobs in the spools folder \winnt\system32\spool\printers. Just make sure to let those printing know that they will have to re-send their print job.

Hope this helps if not I hope you find a solution for this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back