Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spool32 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mak876

Technical User
Nov 12, 2002
US
A couple people at my work keep getting Spool32 errors, all using different programs. After the error all printer in the printer folder dissappear until restarted. Does anybody know any fixes besides putting Spool32 to load in the win.ini file, copy a new spoolss.dll file onto the machine, or printing directly to the printer.

There is an issue with antivirus programs causing spool errors with 98. Especially Mcafee antivirus. Try excluding either the c:\windows\system\spool folder and files or exclude any file extensions that end in spl or exclude *.spl. This all depends on what antivirus software you are running but most allow you to exclude certain files folders or extensions from the background or realtime monitor.

If you are using McAfee VirusScan 4.5.1 you'll have to go back to 4.5.0.

Thanks for the tip, Bluenose. I have the same problem with a few of my Win98 SE PCs. I installed McAfee 6.0.1 and it caused the same problem that mak876 described. I uninstalled 6.01 and reinstalled 4.5.0 - Problems solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back