Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spool Copy Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JG5

MIS
Nov 18, 2001
US
All of my magnetic primary storage policies have a synchronous aux copy to secondary disk. The primary copy is set for 1 week retention, and the secondary for 28 days. If I manually prune the only full copy from a primary storage policy, the next backup will be forced full - makes sense.

My question is this - if I configure the primary copy as a spool copy, the backup job will run, and once the aux copy successfully completes it will be pruned from the primary copy during the next data aging job. Will the subsequent incremental backup be forced full since the last full is no longer contained in the primary copy as a result of the spool copy retention settings?

Thanks.

No as the data is still available on the secondary copy, since Simpana was the one to age off the first copy it knows that it is still on the second version which it flags as the "primary copy".
I have customers that have spool copies set up and the incrementals run fine and don’t get converted to full’s
rgds rod

I actually ran a few tests and validated just what you said, but forgot to post back until I got the notification.

Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back