Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spoofing with MAC possible ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

haneo

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
CA
I want to know if it is possible to change packets procuded by my pc so i can produce a packets with ip source and MAC source not mine ?

i am asking for any OS windows , linux , freebsd ?

thanks for all.

And a legitimate reason for wanting to do this would be ?

A legitimate use would be to protect yourself from other users attempting to gain access to your computer by hijacking or snooping an http session. I personally looked into some anonymizers and stuff like that. There are also servers out there that will act like a proxy for you when you go out and bop the web. My problem with that is how do you know that an app or proxy exists with totally legitimate intentions. For all I know the proxy or app may be logging information on me for someone to sell as well.
I looked into IP spoofing products and MAC address spoofing products and the ARE out there. That's the answer to the question. I would hope people are attempting to use these products for legitimate use and not for other purposes.

You cannot change the MAC address physically, as that is stored on an IC chip. However, when the computer turns on, the MAC address is then stored into the computer's memory. You can edit this part of the memory to spoof your mac address. In Linux, you cac use changemac ( In Windows, I do not know, but the links provided inside of the above web site may help you.

--Sapient2003 - sapient@sapient2003.com
"The worst insecurity is believing you are too secure."

yes but changing the mac address means you won't receive replies to anything. Since the mac is in memory it will attempt to send the packet. The hardware layer may change it back or when a reply is sent back then the nic won't acknowledge the packet.

I could be wrong though.

win2k and above...

Start>Settings>ControlPaneland open network and Dial-up Connections. Right click on the NIC you want to change and click on properties. Under the general tab, hit the configure button, then click on advanced. In the Property section, you see an item called “Network Address” select it. Under “Value”, type in the address you want with out the "-"

Goto command prompt and type in “ipconfig /all” to verify.

If you need a different OS reply here and i will help... I use made up mac addresses for my wireless network at home along with mac authenication.. Its not a panacea, but always remember defense in depth. =D

Yes DC0 I am intereseted by your help [bigears]

My Linux box chooses a random MAC address everytime it boots up. It does not make it so you cannot recieve packets. Everything you could do with your actual MAC address you can do with a fake one.

--Sapient2003 - sapient@sapient2003.com
"The worst insecurity is believing you are too secure."

A new trend I have seen lately in some residential grade routers (Netgear,Linksysys,Etc.) the ability to specify the MAC address of the router in the settup of the device. This tends to come in handy when your ISP will only pass traffic to a MAC Address that you have registered w/them.

~Dave~
Where do packets go when they die ?
spinner.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back