Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spontaneous mouse movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunwindandsea

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
US
Sometime my mouse will move across the screen when I am not touching the mouse and the mouse does not appear to move. That's right. No hand near mouse. The mouse itself hasn't moved an iota. And the mouse is moving across the screen. How cn this be? Why?

Logictech mouse (ps2) & Windows 98 Second Edition. Gateway 400 MHz pc. Outlook Express and Windows Messaging are running.

Sun.wind.n.sea

Intersting, mine does this too sometimes. Well, it used to. I have a Logitech iFeel Optical Usb mouse. When I first bought it, I caught it moving all the time and many times I found myself frustrated. The first thing I did was unplug the mouse in the PS/2 slot - I still had it in so I took it out, that really didn't change much. Then I updated the drivers. That seemed to fix it primarily. However, it would often not move in the direction that I was pushing. I found out that some optical Logitech mice are extremely sensitive to the surfaces that they are on. Instead of my multi-color mousepad, I had to initially use a piece of paper and now just have a white mousepad. I no longer have problems with it.

So I guess I'd just update my drivers if I were you, that can fix a lot.

Another thing to think about is do you have the latest bios revision for your mobo? Some systems will have unusual problems with diferent types of mice. Check your manufactures web site for any bios revisons. They will also have a list of fixes for the bios upgrade. Gateway is good about bios and other driver updates. >:):O>

Open the DOS prompt (start, run, command)
Press ALT and ENTER to get a full screen window
Press ALT and ENTER again to return it to normal size
type exit to close the DOS screen.

This won't permanently fix it, but may help

unplug it, and wipe off the plug, replug it.

open it and clean the inside rollers and sensors and ball,
put it back.

switch the connections between the keyboard and the mouse.

reboot.

if u still have probs, try a diff mouse, if still, reinstall windows. if still, there may be other fixes..it cld be mobo as stated above. fixing that involves replacing it.

good luck and i hope u dont need a priest for this.

:-Q x->

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back