Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SPNs - No NPA/NXXs - USA Meridian 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHTROUT

IS-IT--Management
Nov 25, 2005
US
Four years ago, I had the most confusing talk with Dave Higham - the guy who wrote the MV Excel files... I realized he had no idea what NPA and NXX were doing in any M1 (from the UK). A week later, I removed every NPA and NXX and put them all in as SPNs, taking advantage of FLEN for nearly every one.

There must be a reason NPA and NXX make more sense...I just have not found that it applies to my system...yet.

Will I be putting them back, and why?

~
Gene of ~

at one time it was common to use spn 1 2 3 4 5 wich routed all numbers possible. but at the time it slowed down switching a lot. with npa/nxx routing the far end rings as quickly as an internal call. if flen is set that problem would go away. the only other reason for npa/nxx routing is for denies or custom routing. state side i have numbers 803+ that are local and 803 plus that are ld. for that reason i am doing 6 digit routing on that npa. plus some area codes are used for the 5 dollars a minute calls don't need to be allowed.. if i route 1 + to my ld's it would allow all areacodes us and canada plus some islands that are great for sending out gifts that you just need to call to have shipped. those calls are 100 dollars a minute.. for those two reasons, stateside, i don't recogmend spn routing. with scripts i can add all npa's and nxx's to a switch in 3 or 4 hours... nothing is worse to dial into a switch to deny one npa and find out (after the price quote) that they are spn routed... i do know you can allow 1 then deny but that slows down routing even more, the switch can't
route until the 5th or 6th digit... you don't need to put them back in, but i feel i have quicker end to end plus tighter control

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Another reason for NPA/NXX is for CDR reports. With everything as an SPN the information sent to most CDR systems may be mistakenly ID for a call type it isn't.

Thanks for the comments!

Another thing you get on SPNs is ARRN. - In other words, define another RLI based on all 7 digits, or as the example below. We have to put effort into keeping email and chat room activity on our own servers so we can produce records for the SEC if needed. The numbers in ARRN are ISP dialup numbers and the ARLI 5, the Alternate RLI, is FRL'd higher than the NCOS an analog line a financial advisor may have. RLI 0 is pretty much a free for all with FRL 1

SPN 227
FLEN 7
ITOH NO
RLI 0
ARRN 0913
ARLI 5
ARRN 1115
ARLI 5
ARRN 1116
ARLI 5
ARRN 1301
ARLI 5