Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting MDE questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagergregory

Instructor
Aug 6, 2002
GB
Hi,

1) I currently have an Access 2002 Database. When I make an MDE file, will users of Access 2000 or users of Access 97 be able to run my MDE file?

2) I will be distributing the database on CD to the clients that will be using it. - I don't want them seeing the design or making changes, so an MDE would make sense. What do you recommend I do?

I heard about the front-end, back-end procedure.

If I distribute this database solution on CD to them. They will obviousely need to copy it to a directory. Would fron-tned, back-end work if I set it up on CD Rom and they copy it over.?

Please explain how front-end/back-end is linked.

Nath

Two major issues.
1>If you have compiled this in A2002 users of A2k and A97 will not be able to run the front end unless they are running Office2002 (XP?).

2>When the db's are copied to the users pc, they will copy over as "read-only" as that is how they are stored on the cd. The attributes will need to be reset.

Easy FE/BE definition.
Create everything on one database.
Create a second database and import all of your tables.
Delete all of the tables from the first database.
Link, from database number one, to all of the tables in database number two.
Make an mde out of database number one.
Any questions? :) Rhonin
"too many questions, too little time..."

Tools-Linked Table Manager. Select tables to link, select "Prompt for new location" box select OK then select location of you back end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back