Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting Database question - important

Status
Not open for further replies.

generaluser

Technical User
May 24, 2002
US
I am working on a database for someone and did not get all of the data imputted in the tables before they needed to use the database. I decided that I would split the database so that I can finish putting data in the tables end the back end so they can continuing using the database. However, when I tried to move the backend from my hard drive to the network, the front-end says that it cannot find the back end. Is there a way to change the location of the back end and have the front end recognize the location change? If not, is there a way to un-split the database? Please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I understand your question correctly, you want to relink your tables so that they point to the database on the server rather than on your local drive. If so, then, from the database window, select TOOLS|DATABASE UTILITIES|LINK TABLE MANAGER and select the tables you want to relink. Make sure you check the box "Always prompt for new location"

Thanks. Got it. Now, is there ever a way to un-split a database?

You can always delete all of your linked tables from your front-end application, and then import all of the original linked tables from your back-end file into your front-end file. That should work.

What would happen to the forms, reports, queries, etc?

generaluser:

After splitting, the "front-end" will contain everything except the tables. So, if you delete the linked tables & import the actual tables from the "back end", you will have the database as it was before splitting.

K.Hood

BEAUTIFUL!! THANKS. ONE MORE THING, WHEN YOU'RE BACKING UP A SPLIT DATABASE, DO YOU BACKUP THE BACK-END OR BOTH?

generaluser:

The front-end is basically your program, and the back-end is your data. Backup the front-end as often as you make changes to the forms, queries, modules, etc., and backup the data as frequently as you can. How often is totally dependent on how mission-critical the data is.

K.Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back