Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting a Satellite Signal for Multiple TV's 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeebo123

Technical User
Aug 1, 2003
US
I am quoting an existing client on cabling his house...he currently has a satellite with 1 receiver...he would like to get another receiver, but has 5 TV's, is there a way to split the signal through a bi-directional amplifier so you can watch different channels on any TV?

Thanks, Skeebo123

The only way to run multiple T.V's off of directv is w/a multi-switch. Which you can buy at radio shack for about 65-70 dollars to run 5 T.V's he would need an 8 way multi-switch. if it is a single LNB dish the LNB must be dual output; This is very easy to Check just look at the bottom of the LNB if it has to coaxial out puts it is dual. You must have two coaxials running into the multi-switch from the LNB and you will hook the Tvs coaxial into the outputs on the multi-switch.

Is there a way to split the signal after has it already left the multi-switch? I have a dual output LNB that has multi-switch with 2 outputs and I need 3. So I tried a normal coax splitter and i lose both frequencies on 1 of 2 satellites and 1 frequency on the other satellite. End result after splitting with normal coax splitter is about 25% of the channels. Any ideas? I would go on the roof and change my multi-switch but I am in a wheelchair so that is out for now.

unfortunately there is no way to split signal.the receiver send a 13 or 18 v signal to the lnb when you change channel to determine transponder set. 13v for odd transponder and 18v for even transponder,so using a spitter on the line will send only one of the 2 voltage to lnb causing lost of channels. you can split output signal from the receiver to 2 tv and use a rf remote or remote extender to change channel,however you will get the same show on both tv.

I have a satellite -direct tv with 4 tv's hooked up. I would like to share one of the connections (not to be shared at same time). We have a guest bedroom with a hookup, but when we dont have guests we would like to move the box to another room to use it.
How can I add the cable to the second room? Remember this will be used for one room or the other- never at the same time. Can I extend the cable somehow to the second room? What is the easiet solution?

Thanks

I have a single LNB direct tv dish and I am attempting to split the signal to 2 other rooms in the house, but alias I am finding this task to be a rather tedious one. After purchasing a Recoton 4-way distribution amplifier I attempted to send the signal from the T.V. into the spliter and then out from the spliter into the first room(mine) and was able to split the signal , but was only successful @ being able to watch what was on in the living room. So if their are any suggestions on how to be able to split the signal and change the channels in other rooms without changing the stations in the liviong room, the would be greatly appreciated, Thanx.

Being in business I can answer each and everyone of your questions.[bigglasses]
To start off with, and this should cover all of you;
1.)The signal coming down from the satellite is up in the the Ghz range (11-21 Ghz), so your tv can't process it. It looks for vhf and uhf (65-800mhz). It has to be "processed" by the receiver first. Besides the fact it is m-peg2 digital and encrypted.
2.) To get more transponders (each can carry up to 15 channels) out of the frequencies they are allowed, they transmit them in a heilical pattern. Just think of a coil spring stretched out.Some transponders are clockwise some are ccw.
3.) With a single port LNB you can only have one reciever, otherwise the other receiver would only be able to see the same rotation (CW or CCW) or only half the channels.
4.) With both services ,dish and direct,if you have a 18" round dish you are looking at one satellite. The rotation is controlled by 13 or 18 volts DC going up the coax.
With a dual port lnb you can have 2 recievers, each switching their own port.
5.) With systems having more than 2 recievers you have to have a matrix or multi-switch. The switch makes one port of the lnb CW and the other CCW. The voltage comming up the coax switches the switch instead. You can, with the right type of splitter (DC passive and the correct frequency) split the signal from each port to multiple matrix swithces.
I did one system with 36 receivers running off of one dish. :)).
6.) When you start getting into twin satellite dishes, the oval ones, it starts getting a little more tricky.
DirecTV switches between the two "birds" with a 22mhz pulse.
Dish.... I'm not a liberty to tell.( I worked for them in the early stages, '95-'96.) Lets just say they have their own way of switching 'birds'.
In both cases you need a different kind of switch.
OR
Both companies have multi-head dishes. If the head is a one peice unit, the multi-switch is built in. I've seen as many as 6 ports out, each with access to all the 'birds' and transponders.
More than 6? You have to go back to the individual dual lnbs, splitting them out as I noted above, to external multi-switches.
Gezz!!! I just looked at the dates...LOL.. you've all probably given up or paid some "clown" an arm and leg. I see it all the time.
Well maybe this will help someone later.
As far as MOMETY, just the splitter I mentioned above would work for you. As long as you're only running off of one leg at a time.....No Problem.

If anyone has any type of question regarding Satellite, just post them here. I'll get an Email and have answer usually with in 48 hrs. for you. I've been in the business for almost 20 years now. The 'old lady' hates it when I start talking about satellites...LOL.... "is that all you know to talk about?" ....rolol....Just about[bigglasses]
"success is doing what you like and making a living at it"
.......now if I could just get this darned lapt........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back