Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splitting a 10Mb internet connection - hardware advise appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

gisterennogwel

Technical User
Nov 1, 2007
NL
Hi there,

I’m turning to you guys as I’ve been searching the web for hours now, but I still have the same questions.
At the moment we have 3 separate ADSL lines for these customers, and I would like to get one big line, and divide them ourselves with the help of a smart switch.
I would like to be able to split a 10Mb internet connection into 1Mb chunks, in- and outgoing.
As they would need a (or multiple) public IP I also would like to traffic an IP to a specific port on the switch.
Is there a Cisco model capable of doing this? Someone with knowledge should do the configuration, but I would first like to know in what price range I would be getting me in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Regards,
Ronald (The Netherlands)

tomorrowalso

not sure how high tech you want this. It can be done semi-hightech:

I used a Vigor router for this: (only) 4 ports, vlans to sepperate traphic and bandwidth limiting.
DMZ configuration takes care of your server /public ip.
you may call draytek.nl for advice.

2nd option -low tech-: buy a switch, connect the switch to the internet and for each customer use a linksys 4port router with bandwidth limiting.

3rd option, high-tech with only cisco:
and put a firewall between the internetline and switch.

The third option in meener's post is most likely what you are looking for.

CCNP

meneerB,

Thank you for your info, but I have an additional question concerning the use of a Cisco switch. I’ve been searching the web and the page you are referring to is only referring to outbound traffic? It looks like the new switches are able to also control the inbound traffic, but it seems to me this would get pretty technical for a setup we hardly configure. I don’t want to waste a lot of time in trying to understand the IOS as this is not my core business. I guess the Draytek is the easiest way for us to provide this service without taking a 10 day Cisco course ;-)
Your input has been much appreciated.

Regards,
Ronald.

Typically you won't do any QoS on your inbound traffic. Not that it can't be done, but if you control both ends of the link you will do your rate-limiting closer to the sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back