Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Split SQL Database across 2 Instances??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny782

MIS
Mar 15, 2010
US
Okay right now I have a Macola installed on my SQL Server with Terminal Services. Users run the app via Terminal Services.

Macola has probably 9 or 10 companies setup, I don't have the exact number off hand.

So the new setup is as follows
I think this part should be fairly simple?
Server 1 Roughly half the companies - SQL/Terminal Services/Macola
Server 2 Other half of companies - SQL/Terminal Services/Macola

Here's my real question
Server 3 - Server containing all companies from both servers.

The trick here is the companies are spread across 2 SQL instances.
That's the way SQL mirroring works so I have no choice.
Can I configure the Macola client to be able to login spread across 2 sql instances?

If not I can just virtualize a second server if I really need to.
Each server would containing a single instance.

Open up your macsql.cfg file, in the macsql folder, it is a text file. You'll see something like this:

Code:
[SQL_INFO]
Companies_Installed=20
[Company_000]
Name=Macola Electronics
Server=[red]SQL1[/red]
Database=Demodata
LOCKDB=MsllockDB
FRL=False
[Company_001]
Name=Gain Focus
Server=[red]SQL1[/red]
Database=DATA_001
Lockdb=MSLLockDB
FRL=False
[Company_002]
Name=Exact Software
Server=[red]SQL1[/red]
Database=Data_002
LOCKDB=MsllockDB
FRL=False

Replace the red SQL1 with whatever SQL Server holds that particular database.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

Great thanks :)

Just to verify one other thing (I manage the server, know very little about Macola)

The logon information is stored within each individual database isn't it?

No, the usernames, passwords, security (including company and menu restrictions), searches and screens are all stored in one database, the SCREENS database. Each individual user's Macola desktops are all in another database, the PWE database.

Make sure these databases are in any databasmaintenancece or backup plans you have in place.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

Sorry to bother you with this.
That makes things a little more challenging.

**The question is on the bottom.
Most of this post is just background I thought would help.

They have a US and a mexico location, right now on a single server.

So my plan so far was to just...
1) Duplicate the current SQL config on two new servers.
2) Delete the appropriate companies within SQL and Macola on each server
3) Install the same version of Macola into the same path as the current server
4) Overwrite it with the Program Files on the current server.

Seemed like a good idea at least...

On the backup server I would have a mirror of each SQL instance.
But now handling a copy of those db's you mentioned from each server gets complicated

=====================

As I was typing I had 2 ideas
1) Is it possible to somehow specify on a per user basis what instance pwe, screens etc... will be read from?

2) If not what about having a second copy of the application directory, configured to use the other instance exclusively?

Item #2 above concerns me:

2) Delete the appropriate companies within SQL [red]and Macola[/red] on each server

Please explain your logic with the "and Macola" part.

Well on the new Mexico server for example delete
"xxx300" (Which is not used in MX) in SQL and remove the entry in macsql.cfg

There is only one application server correct? If so you cannot remove the entries in Macsql.cfg. If you do no one will be able to log into that company.

Not best practice but they have one physical terminal server, it contains sql and the application.
Nobody has the client on their physical computer.

They want to trash this machine and split it up onto two servers of the same configuration, SQL/Macola Client/Terminal Services.
Each will contain half the companies of the current machine.

Each Macola server will be basically isolated. The user on Server 1 needs no access to Server 2 via Macola.

Think of it has a completely seperate business.

Without pulling out the agreement, my gut reaction is that you cannot legally do this, it is a violation of the licensing agreement. I suggest you call Exact or your Exact business partner.

I spoke to them about a month ago this is still in the planning and quoting process.

But I used their consultingonce before and it cuts deep into my profits. So I'm just trying to figure it out myself.

Essentially we'll have to buy a second copy of everything with a slight discount (how generous lol). Not cheap but it's not my money.

I understand your view, but thanks for the help thus far. I really appreciate it.

The 2 instances of Macola do not need to talk to each other right? As you describe it, just install Macola on the 2nd server. Not much to it. If you have users that need access to both instances of Macola just get them a RDC connection to the server.

Ok thanks alot, I found a doc on exacts site that seems to explain how to re-add existing companies to a new install of Macola.

So my only other question was about handling two side-by-side macola installtions. Since each instance will include it's own PWE, SCREENS etc... db's.
Can I install to two different directories one configured for each instance?

Ok great.
Thanks for all the help and patience, it's much appreciated!

-Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back