Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Split database to test and QA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasniper

Programmer
Apr 11, 2001
US
I have an Oracle 8.1.6.3 database running on Solaris that I've been using for about a month. Now, we'd like to split the database into a test environment and a QA environment.

I tried following Oracle's guide to making a new database instance, and successfully crashed the database. Is there an easy way to duplicate all of the tables and data and either put them into a new tablespace or make a new database instance? I've tried exporting and importing to a new username, but only a few tables get moved.

That's strange. When I export-import data from a tablespace to another, I move all the data. When you export data you have the option to export only tables or every object in the tablespace, have you seen it?

Yeah, I saw that option. I exported by User, as the user that owns the original data is the same.

Maybe I should export by tables and list the tables I want to export and then import that dump as the new tablespace user?

I don't know. I always export by user and it have never failed me. You could try :-I

You can export full database :

exp user/password@service_name file=c:\path_name\export_file.dmp log=c:\path\log.log full=y

you can add param: consistency=y

and then, import only user:
imp user/password file=c:\thesameexportfile.dmp log=c:\anotherlog.log fromuser=UserID

Doing it this way, before importing, you need to create this user by hand in your new database.

hth
wysza

Thanks to everyone who responded.

It turns out, it helps if your tablespace is not out of room.

After I turned auto-extend on for the tablespace, the tables imported without a problem.

just out of curiosity why didn't you just physically clone the original database from a backup and rename it & its instance?

I have to do this all the time and that method guarantees identical physical structure (down to the extent & even block level) and instance configuration. you can also set up separate homes for testing patches.

just my 2c/never 2bHO...

I tried to create a new instance and wound up trashing the original control files (because Orcalse said to use the REUSE keyword)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back