Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Split database, can only access from my machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammondo

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
NL
I've split my Db into front and back end. However I can only access the Db from my machine. Whenever I install the front end mdb on another machine, the GUI displays ok, but no records.... why is this? Help!!!!

Hi,
Hammondo

You maybe experiencing these problems for one of the following reasons :

1) The Backend is on the C:\ drive of your orignal local machine. If so put it onto the network and re-link your front-end to the new location.

2) The backend and are loacted on the Network, however other machine my have restricted access to the network.

If you have further queries give me a shout.

HoleInTheFoot

Cheers for your help...

Yeah, I've placed the backend on a n/w share granting full access to everyone.

I've relinked the tables to the Backend on the n/w share.

I then reopen my front end. On my machine I can see the database.

As soon as I copy the frontend to another machine on the n/w and open it on that machine, the forms open ok, however no data!

Might this be an database access rights issue?

I've even copied the front end to the local machine on which the db resides and tried opening it from there, but same problem... it's driving me nuts!

Your help is much appreciated..

Oh and I've also relinked the front end tables on a users local machine accross the n/w to the backend to make sure that this is ok. This reports successfull. I then open the front end and same problem... I'm very perplexed..

Hmmm... A little more info... The users already have access installed on their machines, using it to access two other Access databases (not of my creation). I've noticed that there are also some Users and associated permissions set up on these machines. These differ from those on my own. I think this is where the problem lies...

Do I need the admin account details for the local machines copy of access in order to set permissions for my database?

Make sure you are using an Access Project for the other user to connect properly. Randusoleis.....

Hi,
Hammondo

You maybe also experiencing the problem mentioned due to a slow Network, this can be tested for by opening the linked tables in your Front Database and monitoring the response time taken to veiw the data.

If you have further queries give me a shout.

HoleInTheFoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back