Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Split 100 number DID block from ISDN/PRI to send to IP Fax server

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSaling

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2010
US
Definity G3 Version 12

I have a single ISDN/PRI that provides 400 DID numbers. 300 are in a 5xxx format, 100 in 3xxx format. The 5xxx are in use as DID and the 3xxx ring through to an announcement.

I would like to make the 3xxx numbers available for a GFI IP fax server using only software, no brooktrout or similar board, simply connected via the LAN.

I currently have a handful of IP phone sets in use, so the network configuration is in place.

Should it be possible to split those numbers off and send out to an IP trunk I make up?

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how?

Thank you.

I don't see why not. I do it with my system. I just change the AAR table to route my 9840-9859 (20 dids) extensions to a new route pattern that sends them out a sip trunk to an asterisk server for a remote office. Same thing should work for you, just a larger range.

Thank you. I'll see if we can get that setup.

You MAY encounter problems with faxes transmitted over IP.

VoIP tends to break fax messages. Fax machines transmit data faster than the codecs sample, so VoIP wasn't designed to do fax or IP. (If you have an IP connection to a destination, it's assumed you can move the file more efficient ways than sending a fax.)

The way the PBX deals with Fax over IP is to store-and-forward. Capturing the fax information and re-transmitting using methods other than just using the voice codec.

In your proposed setup, the PBX may simply try to re-route the audio without checking to see if it's a fax call or not,(The way it would with an analog port.) breaking the store-and-foward feature that makes it possible to send a fax over an IP trunk.

A fax board in the server and a DS1 board in the PBX keeps everything TDM and eliminates the problem.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

We were trying to avoid purchasing a fax card if possible, but it appears our G3 version is not supported by the current GFI software-only solution.

The DS1 card would handle traffic outbound only?

I guess it makes sense that we could direct the 3xxx extensions, coming in one DS1 board to travel out a second, connected to the fax server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back