Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Splicing Cat5e or Cat6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvayaNovice

Vendor
Apr 6, 2003
US
Is there a particular standard and or method to splicing Cat5e or Cat6 riser cable if it gets cut or damaged?

The only time I've ever done it was using a 5 pair 710 module, and it worked fairly well (the 710 module was cat5e rated) and passed with a pentascanner.

But are there premanufactured mini splice cases for that purpose?

Hey Nick - the tip I posted earlier about using the 103 jack: Do you realize that it is a 4-pair 110 block that you don't need to use any patch cord with? Punch one end of the cable on the base, install the C4, and punch the other end onto the C4. Even if you were to get a regular 25-pair 110 block, there is no need to punch the ends down on two spots of the 110, use 2-C4's and a patch cable. Just punch one on the bottom and one on the top!

Makes sense, but the one you posted was Cat-3, right? I didn't see a Cat5e model.

Nick

Dude, it's 110! You're not using the jack portion of it. You pull off the C4, yank out the jack and its wiring, punch one cable down where the jack wiring used to be, reinstall the C4, and punch the other cable onto the C4.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I suppose :) I Thought that it needed to be rated at cat5e to perform for 100mbit.

Perhaps one of our RCCD's can chime in, but I thought that 110 WAS Cat5/Cat5e compliant

Skip -- it's a 260 foot drop, running inside wood studded walls, secured with staples, finished construction. No sub floor. No attic. No other solution without a lot of time involved.

my statement was made in jest

thus the :)

actully I have found this thread informative

I enjoy it when the discussion goes beyond one or two responses

As the customer waits for a remedy.... sometimes you just need to make a decision and get on with it.

Yes 110 blocks are rated to Cat 5e. I have never heard of a 110 that isn't...doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I have just never heard of such a thing.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

I have some 110 blocks laying around from 1993. Considering that cat5e spec didn't exist then... I don't see how they could be compliant, maybe they were that robust then... don't know

Per one of the manufacture reps here recently (might have been the Avaya guy) the C4 and 110 block are not category rated (the block is just plastic anyway, how can you rate that?) but that it was the C4/patch cord combination that made the category compliance. Take that for what it's worth.

As for the above statement of punching one cable on the bottom of the C4 and the other on the top of the C4 (elimiating the patch cord), while will work, but if striving to be compliant, this wouldn't be. The patch cord is needed. This is essentially become a 'consolidation point' (for one run?), and a compliant consolidation point is a cross connect (patch cord needed) not an interconnect (no patch cord). At least that's how I understand what the standard says.
Thats if you're going for the Category compliance. If not, the non-patch cord method will work. If you do it that way, send me the test results, I'd be interested in what it looks like.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

UMMM...Justin If I understood what you wrote.....in a consolidation point you do not have an additional patch cord. A MUTOA uses a patch cord without a WS jack.
A CP is a UTP punched down via a block directly to another UTP which extends the service to the workstation jack and then you have your patch cord.
So an additional patch cord in the "cicuit" would not be compliant.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

Right. A CP is not a user interface, like a MUTOA.

Wow we beat this one to death. 110 blocks were out long before the Cat5e standard was, so I'm not sure that all 110's would be considered compliant.

Keep in mind, we're (what my engineer likes to call) "polishing a turd". We're fixing a problem the best we can to make the customer happy. Yeah....someone staped the wire in the wall, and we can't repull it cost effectively so we're going to splice it. Almost any IDC type of connection (110 style) should do pretty well, I've scothlocked them (maintaining the twist as much as i could) and scanned them successfully before, I've cimped plugs on and put a coupler in and scanned it, I've put a modular IDC type jack on one end and a plug crimped on the other and tested it, etc. Almost all of these things will work to get them by, none of them will be standards compliant, but at this point we really don't care about that because we want to make it work.

Pick your best solution, implement it, inform the customer and maybe even tag the wire back in the data closet, scan/certify it, and move on.

Good Luck

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back