Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SPFPC V4 on XP SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPGalea

Programmer
Apr 19, 2009
US
SPFPC worked fine on W/2000. My new pc has XP Pro SP3. It seems to run but eventually my keystrokes don't do anything. No response to any keystroke. In Task Manager I see ntvdm.exe using cpu as I hit the keys. The time on the screen is not incrementing. This is an old version of SPFPC and I'd rather not have to pay for an upgrade. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

Have you tried running it in one of the older Compatibility Modes, such as Windows 2000?

Are there any updates for the program that might improve the situation?

Type - Getting older programs to run on Windows XP - in the Help and Support program for the basics.

However not all old programs will work in XP no matter what compatibility mode you select. It does seem to be a matter of trial and error.

How to use Windows Program Compatibility mode in Windows XP

I've tried Win 95 and 2000 compatibility modes. This version is no longer supported. Don't know where I would get updates. I'll try your other suggestions.
Thanks!

I have also experienced this problem. It appears to happen only when I edit multiple files in a single SPF instance (window) and swap between them in SPF.

To avoid the problem, create a new SPF instance for each file edited. Problem solved. You have to use the mouse to swap between the windows but it works.

For SPF macros see

It happens even when I have one screen (no split). Did you make any specific settings?
Thanks,
Joe

I did not change any settings in Windows. I am using SPFPRO on XP Home with SP3. I used to get 100% CPU usage when I was using the swap, FSPLIT, VSPLIT commands or a PFKey to swap between files. Now that I am not, It never locks up though I am using it for five or six hours at a time. Are you by chance using it on and AMD processor?

I have also used SPFPRO on Vista and Windows 7 with no problems from a USB flash drive. Again, the CPU stays normal so long as I edit only one file at a time and never use swap, fsplit, vsplit or any pfkey to swap between files.

I have used SPFSE and have found the Standard version most like what I am used to with SPFPRO. I have been able to get most of my REXX (.SPF) macros to work with it. Only Problem I have with SPFSE is that it is windows install dependant meaning you need to install it on each machine. I often use it on several virual machines and don't want to install it each time I need to use it. I have asked the author to look into making it independant of user account install. Hopefully he will be able to do so in a new update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back