Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spelling 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfvb

Programmer
Nov 25, 2001
US
Just a general question. I haven't had a client from outside the US yet, but there are a couple pending. Both small commercial sites from Canada.

Is it ok to ask the client what country his target audience is from? It feels like an inappropriate question to ask.

The reason I ask is, I do most of my shopping online. I'm from the US, so I'm used to seeing US spelling of words.
If I see a non-US spelling of a word, "colour" for example, I immediately think 'different country'. If I'm buying software or services, I have no problem. But, if I'm buying something that has to be shipped, rightly or wrongly, I equate 'different country' to extra shipping charges, and I move on to a different site. I have to assume some people in other countries think the same thing when shopping online!!!

Should I be concerned about this, or should I just write it like I would every other site, and let the customer ask for spelling changes?

Steve

I think that you are right to ask the client who the target audience is and how they would like words spelled. I don't think that the client would mind you asking at all. IMHO, it shows great forethought and experience on your part to consider the global market when designing a page.

Personally, I always make the client submit all copy to me and I post that copy to the web, AS THEY GAVE IT TO ME, putting the burden on them.

Hope that helps.

I always make the client submit all copy to me and I post that copy to the web, AS THEY GAVE IT TO ME, putting the burden on them

If you don't do this and the site fails to meet the expectations of your client, you will be the one they point fingers at!

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

yup, try tricking the client into purchasing a CMS from u where he can have a full control over what content comes in his web site ;)

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Why would you try to trick your client? Just up front sell them a CMS so they can be in charge of the copy.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Thanks for all your comments.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back