Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spellcheck in Word 97 not correcting misspelled words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jooleigh

MIS
Oct 21, 1999
US
The spellcheck feature in Word 97 is not correcting misspelled words. Should I reinstall Word? Have been using Word for a year and this just started happening last week.

No, jooleigh, don't reinstall. Try this first: open the document it won't fix. Go to Tools-Options-Spelling and Grammar and hit the Recheck Document button. If that works, you don't have a problem. Also, if you're getting an error about "no proofing," hit ctrl-a to select your entire document and set the language to English, recheck document, then run spellcheck again.

Also I would suggest that you go to tools, autocorrect and make sure this is active - perhaps you're used to autocorrection and it's been shut off.

We had a similar problem except that the misspelled words were in all capital letters. Under Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar the Ignore words in UPPERCASE option had to be deselected. I would check to make sure the correct options are selected or not selected on the Spelling & Grammar tab.

jooleigh,<br>
You may also want to look in your custom dictionary to see if these incorrectly spelled words were added by mistake. You can edit these records while in Word by going to Tools/Options then click on &quot;Spelling & Grammar&quot;, then click the &quot;dictionaries...&quot; button and then click on &quot;edit&quot;. Here you can review the words that were added.<br>
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back