Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

spell check in text boxes in microsoft word

Status
Not open for further replies.

tziviak

Technical User
Oct 10, 2002
US
I have a protected form with textboxes-that I want the user to just enter information into the textboxes-but the problem is that they can't spell-check their work -the spell check is greyed out
so I tried to unprotect the document-which got my spell-check back-but not for the data-that's inside the textboxes.
any ideas?
thanks

Hi tziviak,

I noticed that noone has tried to tackle this one.

I do not believe that spell check extends to form fields. Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

If I were doing this, here's how I'd approch it -- In VBA. I don't have the time right now to actually code it, but maybe you could macro record as much as possible and then come back for help.

I'd programatically...

1. remove Forms Protection
2. For each Form Field, "copy" the contents to a temp.doc
3. use spell check on the temp.doc
4. "copy" corrected text back to the form field

Kinda klunky, but it might work, eh?

Skip,
Skip@TheOfficeExperts.com

According to Microsoft, it may or may not be possible and they provide code.

You did not mention which version of Word so I looked up 2000 as that would be the 'go-between' between the most recent versions.

The article title is:

WD2000: How to Retain Information Typed into a Form Field When You Protect a Form

Hope this helps....

LadyCK3

Skip,

If its a form, there are 2 types of protection we need to check, first under Tools > Protection to see if the document is protected in that form.

But there is also FORM Protection, on the FORMS Toolbar the padlock locks the FORM fields.

If you unlocked one protection and not the other, that is why it would not spell check.

Sneaky little thing :)

LadyCK3

Blue,

Not sure if this would work (have not investigated the link yet) but this add-in is for Excel... tziviak's post is in regards to forms in Word.

Its easy to miss this stuff sometimes :)

LadyCK3

Hi-thanks for all the responses-I actually tried skip's advice-and realized that the only way to copy and paste it into another document and it should spell check-is if the form IS protected-because otherwise you're sort of pasting the whole textbox-so spell check doesn't work-but if it is protected-then only the text (what we want) is pasted

secondly-ladyck3-I'm using word 2002-and it seems to me that the two protections do the same thing.-when one is protected-so is the other-and vica versa

ladyck3-if I understand correctly-in the article-they are basically uprotecting and reprotecting the form-while performing a spell check inbetween-but if I do it manually-the spell check just checks the form-and not the fields.-so why would coding it-make it work?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back