Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Spell Check does not pickup PF or DL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOCSIT

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2005
US
When running a spell check (office xp/2002) it works but does not pick up pf or dl as misspellings (maybe more too). I looked at autocorrect options and the dictionary settings everything looks good. Any Idea why not?

I've never noticed that before, but mine too, and also pl and ph are left untouched. They must be abbrevs. for something.

I have ENGLISH(US) languate setup, what do you have?

A,

I notice mg, ml, kg, mm, cm are also not flagged. Perhaps this explains dl?

I have English US also. I agree, I think they are abbrev also. I have a user who keeps misspelling of with pf and its not getting picked up.

I was thinking maybe they are abbrevs. for States or Periodic Table elements or HTML tags, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Most bizarre why some 2 letters and not others, if anyone knows the reason please do share as I am most curious now.

Thanks

A,

Google will give you plenty if not definitive answers as in; (search for)

define: ph

Hugh,

Ph is definitely an abbreviation (Ph.D and for acidity/alkalinity where PH 7 is neutral), but in English (UK), pl isn't and gets picked up by the UK spell checker OK. If you using English (US), I guess pl must be US abbreviation.

Regards: tf1

Hugh, nice idea about searching on Google for definitions of each of the 2 letters. Now I understand why (most of) these don't get flagged by Word's spell checker.

A,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back